[San-Diego-pm] Configuration Management in Continuous Integration environments

Urivan Flores saaib at ciberlinux.net
Wed Dec 8 11:19:45 PST 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:46:35 -0800, Nicholas Wehr wrote
> Hello everyone,
>
> First off, beware, I'm a bit nutty when it comes to configuration management. I've recently deployed a Hudson instance and wanted to move some Catalyst projects into it. What I'd like to solicit feedback on here is: how are you managing your Perl dependencies in these build systems? Here's some goals I have:

* do not assume any non-core modules are installed on the build platform
* use specific version of modules in the built product - product is a Catalyst website for example (@inc or use lib)
* need to archive specific version of CPAN dependencies offline; this means we can recreate a product without an internet connection
* allow for the rebuild of dependencies when the build platform has changed; this is meant to address a platform change from 32bit to 64bit

> What I'm looking at is either using local::lib or PREFIX & LIB w/ cpan. What do you think?

Hi Nicholas,

On my personal projects I adhere to the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard [0], modules go to /usr/local/ and lib search includes that path location as first option.

Regards,

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

--
Urivan Flores-Saaib