[San-Diego-pm] Converting Time from UTC

Chris Grau chris at chrisgrau.com
Fri Feb 8 11:15:42 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:09:11PM -0000, Ken Loomis wrote:
> Since Arizona NEVER goes on to DST, I was wondering if your routine
> took that into account.

Of course.  By setting the time zone and depending on system calls, the
routine in question uses the tzdata system (under Linux, but similar on
other systems) to apply the correct time zone rules.  Even for Arizona,
Indiana, Hawaii, and Alaska (as well as every other known locale on the
planet).

Incidently, I learned about most of this last year during the run-up to
the new DST rules as (non-intelligently) designed by Congress.  A lot of
older, end-of-life'd Linux systems required patches to the tzdata files
to avoid getting the time wrong.