[San-Diego-pm] SanDiego.PM.org

Daniel Risse dan at tierra.net
Tue Jan 9 16:26:46 PST 2007

Chris Grau wrote:
> First off, thank you Joel for all the work you've put into the web site.
> I'm not sure who to thank for hosting, Joel or some nameless entity at
> LAMPhost, but it's been great.  I don't know what our arrangement with
> LAMPhost is, but Dan Risse has offered a free hosted account with
> TierraNet for the web site.  I'll let Dan elaborate on what that offers,
> but I think there are some benefits (and bragging rights) to having one
> of our own members host the site.

I'll do my part to try to get some discussion going.  One of our biggest
selling points is our outstanding customer support.  We have staff
available 24/7 to answer calls/emails or chats.  We have redundant
high-speed connections to the internet and house our own servers.  Our
servers run Apache on FreeBSD.  One reason that we might not be
attractive to most of the users at Perl Mongers is that we do not allow
SSH or telnet access.  Everything must be configured via our web control
panel, FTP or Frontpage.  But we do offer competitive rates for
collocation.  Of course, more information can be found at our
website[a], or I'd be happy to answer any questions as well.
> So anyway, on to the first of my ideas.
>
> An events calendar.  I'm leaning towards setting up a Google calendar,
> since it gives us so much for free.  My understanding of the system is
> that I can simply create a public calendar, name it whatever I want,
> give certain people write access, and we're done.  Alternatively, we
> could hack up a Perl script or use Sunbird to create a calendar file
> that we could then host on our own web site.  Thoughts?

I think this is a cool idea.  I don't have any personal experience using
any calendars really, but I'd also lean towards google.  Just because it
sounds like it would be much faster to setup.
> I passed around a hard copy of the Lisbon Perl Mongers web site[0] last
> night.  I wouldn't want to copy what they've done directly, but I think
> it's a neat idea.  I think it would be fun if the home page was not only
> informative, but runnable:
>
>     $ perl `lynx -dump http://sandiego.pm.org/`
>     Just Another San Diego Perl Hacker

truly geeky, but cool sounding for sure :)
> Speaking of fun, what about a blog on the web site?  Something akin to
> the O'Reilly Radar[1], in which all (or some subset) of members could
> post Perl-related thoughts.

I like this idea too.  I have yet to start any blog for myself, but I
think I'd be interested in this.  I often find myself musing over what
style to use to best write this piece of code.  Having a blog for
discussing this seems handy.