[San-Diego-pm] Captcha

Joel Fentin joel at fentin.com
Wed May 17 08:07:44 PDT 2006

Christopher Hahn wrote:
> Joel,
>
> OK.  The webpage we first looked at was misleading.
>
> This is a traditional tarball deliverable.
>
> You need to uncompress and unpack the *.tar.gz

If the extension is .zip I can unzip it. If the extension is .gz, I seem
to have no choices.

What I did:

+Start > Run > winzip (it can't find it)
+Right click Authen-Captcha-1.023.tar.gz (my choices include compressing
it but not uncompressing it)
+Start > Help > winzip (tells me how to zip but not how to unzip)
+Searched entire C: drive for something called winzip. (no results)
+My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types (gz is not among them)
+Googled winzip.
+The winzip site has no mention of gz. Their search engine doesn't
mention gz.
+Download and setup winzip
+run winzip on Authen-Captcha-1.023.tar.gz (it unzipped all)

=================
> When you do you will find the file "Makefile.PL" in the results.

Yes, it is there.

> Then you follow "the standard Perl procedure" as described in your email.

> Just direct winzip to extract the files into some known directory, and then
> cd there in a dos window.  Then, assuming that nmake is in your path, the
> instructions will work as desired. (swapping "nmake" for "make" of course)

+I moved nmake.exe & nmake.err into the same directory with makefile.pl
so there would be no path issues.
+Shell to DOS - move to working directory
+On DOS command line: perl makefile.pl
+On DOS command line: nmake
+On DOS command line: nmake install

(At this point all seems ok. A pile of files got copied into a
subdirectory of perl/site/lib/Authen.)

Thank you so much Chris. Clearly I couldn't have gotten near this far
without your help.

I'm going to come up for air for a few hours before I continue.
--
Joel Fentin       tel: 760-749-8863    FAX: 760-749-8864
Email me:         http://fentin.com/me/ContactMe.html