[San-Diego-pm] FWD: [IP] more on Hard time? Not for cyber criminals

C. Abney cabney at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 18 18:56:04 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 16:07, Menolly wrote:

> > > But it's not Intel!  See <http://www.lightlink.com/fors/> for details.
> >
> > Not Intel??? Whoah.  I know the law in Oregon is truly bad.  That's
> > clear.  And the Oregonian and the judge are beyond merely stupid.  They
> > MUST be corrupt.  But how can you hold Intel blameless... aren't they
> > the prosecution?
>
> I've been told the Intel did not want to prosecute, but Oregon wanted to
> test their laws and ran with it.  Feel free to add salt to taaste; I so
> not claim to speak with authority on this.

Please permit me to get you started on a little thought experiment.

Suppose you were Intel, and you had an employee who, while you didn't
know him personally, you had every indication that he was a decent and
upstanding guy.

What would you do if "The State of Oregon" wanted to test out a new law
that let you throw anyone in jail on the slightest whim?

Yours,

Charles
--
Charles Abney