Color Vs. No Color question

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Mon Jun 16 22:52:28 CDT 2003

~sdpm~
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Joel Fentin wrote:
> I recently made a discovery of more than passing interest to me. Those
> perl programs written with object oriented perl are drained of their
> color on Mozilla browsers and Netscape 7. Those written with print
> statements using html tags retain their color. Both types of programs
> always retain their color on older versions of Netscape and on Internet
> Explorer. Do I have to use html tags to retain color on all browsers?
>
> See:
> fentin.com/cgi-bin/test1.pl
> fentin.com/cgi-bin/test2.pl
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> #!/perl/bin/perl -w
> use strict;use CGI;
> my $co = new CGI;
> print $co->header,
> $co->start_html(-title=>'test1',-bgcolor=>'DDDDDD'),

valid hex notated color names should begin with the pound sign, i wonder
if that's the problem you've come across.... check:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/types.html#h-6.5
and

also note that #DDDDDD is a very pale grey that might be too subtle to
notice on some displays. #CCCCCC should be fine though.

My 2 cents,

	Joe
--
Joe "ArtLung" Crawford