System

Joel Fentin joel at fentin.com
Wed Feb 19 22:32:41 CST 2003

~sdpm~
> When making a system() call (or similar), you need to specify the
> filename to execute, not a URL. A URL like
> http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/x.pl is for network access, but it gets
> translated by Apache into a system filename like
> /www/mysite/cgi-bin/x.pl, where /www/mysite/cgi-bin is set as an
> "Alias" to http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin.
>
> It's the latter you want to use from your system() call. So, if x.pl is
> found there, a system() call would look like this:
>
> system("/www/mysite/cgi-bin/x.pl");

Chris,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I may understand a percentage of what you are saying. But I don't think I
"get it".

If you are saying I need a file name, I tried c: [etc.] instead of http:. It
didn't help. I also tried relative addressing.

The other thing you might be saying is that I need to add an alias to
apache. Something like: ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/.......etc. There is
already one of those in there:
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Apache/cgi-bin/"
Thus I tried: system('/cgi-bin/x.pl ');
It didn't work.

If you are not saying either of those, then I don't get any of your message.

--
Joel Fentin    tel: 760-749-8863    FAX: 760-749-8864
email:   joel at fentin.com
Biz:   http://fentin.com
Personal:   http://fentin.com/me/

~sdpm~