Open sores

Joel Fentin joel at fentin.com
Wed Jul 24 16:12:45 CDT 2002

~sdpm~
I and those I was with enjoyed Larry Wall's talk and the
subsequent quiz.

The next day (today) I went back to the exhibition hall. Since I
arrived early, I sat in on a talk by Richard Stallman. The tone
couldn't have been more different from that of Larry Wall.

Larry's talk was in part about the interconnectedness of
everything. A random choice of topics shows them to have
commonalities. Don't let languages die; Don't kick the other guy,
etc. We're all in it together.

Richard's talk was pugilistic, confrontational - them versus us.
"Them" was those who make money with software, practitioners of
open source, and politicians. Us was the GNU community and those
who are politicized. I liked the tone and message of Larry's talk
much more.

The exhibition halls were dominated by book sellers. Compared to
last year, there was less of interest to me and less of everything.

--
Joel Fentin    tel: 760-749-8863    FAX: 760-749-8864

email: joel at fentin.com         web: http://fentin.com
~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org