Unbiased proof that perl is the best.

Wilson, Doug Doug_Wilson at intuit.com
Wed Oct 24 19:21:36 CDT 2001

~sdpm~

> From: Chuck Phillips [mailto:chuckphillips at mac.com]
>
> Working on a project that has a in-house ASP developer that
> is spouting
> Perl myths so as to eliminate it as an option for
> development. I'd hate
> to have to do this in ASP, so my question is:
>
> Where can I find unbiased proof that perl is faster, more
> flexible, more
> mature, etc than ASP, JSP, etc..

ASP does not exclude perl. I was maintaining an ASP site with
existing JavaScript and VBScript code, and anything new
I did in PerlScript. I wrote one script in JavaScript, then
rewrote it in PerlScript and it shrunk down to ~25% of its
original size.

> Extra-credit question: Why should I use MySQL over Sybase?

Can't say for sure that you should. MySQL is probably faster,
cheaper, but Sybase is an enterprise database. I wouldn't
use MySQL for critical information.
See: http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html
Not all the points still apply, but its still valid.
PostgreSQL is another option.

-Doug
~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org