Perl/Apache Alternative to IIS/ASP

Chris Radcliff chris at velocigen.com
Sun Oct 14 12:49:48 CDT 2001

~sdpm~
Peter C. de Tagyos wrote:
 > So I guess what I am really asking, is how do I build a multi-tier
 > system using Apache, Perl, and other open-source products? If such
 > systems aren't necessary, why not?

If you're looking for a multi-tier system with business logic separate
from Web serving, you should take a look at FastCGI. (www.fastcgi.com)
It allows Apache to execute persistent processes on remote machines with
the same (or greater) performance as mod_perl. You can set up either
tier as a single machine or a cluster, with the database on one of the
biz machines or on a separate machine.

For better abstraction with business objects, you can also implement a
SOAP layer behind your rendering layer, similar to your current COM+
layer. This also allows objects to be designed in other languages (I use
it to access Java servlets) if the need arises. You could even integrate
business partners with the same subsystem.

I've written a bit about FastCGI at
http://www.globalspin.com/thebook/chapter10.html and a bit about SOAP at
  http://www.globalspin.com/thebook/chapter18.html -- I'd be happy to
give specific recommendations on how to set such a system up. (I use
them all the time at work.) Done right, it can be a flexible system
that's easy to develop.

Cheers,
~chris

ps- One other note; you can expect to see considerably better
performance out of your Apache/FastCGI/Perl/SOAP setup than your
IIS/ISAPI/ASP/COM+ setup. Keep that in mind when drawing up specs.

~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org