SDPM webserver

Garrett Casey canetguy at home.com
Mon Jun 25 12:22:16 CDT 2001

~sdpm~
Hey Guys!

I would like to express my thanks to Bruce Timberlake, Todd Rockhold, and Bob Kleemann.

Bruce, thank you so much for taking care of the sandiego.pm.org server.  You're awesome!

Todd, thank you for not only picking up the TPJs (and stuff), but also providing the summary of the last meeting.

Bob, thank you for leading the San Diego Perl Mongers.  You are doing a great job...

Ok.  It looks like I will be moving to NJ to take a new job.  I may be leaving as early as July, or as late as September.  I hope I have the opportunity to join one last meeting before I leave.

As for a web server, I have TWO computers that have FreeBSD on them.  They are both are perfect for the job, so I am sure ONE will work out.  Bruce, maybe you can give me a call soon (858-720-1789)  You can come over and check out the machines and see which might be more appropriate for the job.

As for code on the back of the tees, since I just spent the last 4 days in HOT, MUGGY NJ, I would have to cast my vote for something similar to...

(front)
#!/usr/bin/perl

use SanDiego;

print "Just ",
                defined $SanDiego
     ? "A Local"
                 : "Another",
       " Perl Hacker!";

 (back)
 package SanDiego;

 our $SanDiego = {
    weather        => 'Wonderful',
    beaches        => 'Beautiful',
    PerlMongers    => 'SanDiego.pm',
    conferences    => 'Open Source',
    electricity    => rand(1),
    zoo            => 'World Famous',
 };

 1;

Take care everyone,

-Garrett Casey
http://www.GarrettCasey.com

On 6/22/01 at 1:54 PM Bruce Timberlake wrote:

>~sdpm~
>I have successfully colocated my Cobalt RaQ server that the SDPM website
>is hosted on.  The DNS has already been switched, so the site is "live"
>again (it was "down" from last night around 5pm until about 10am this
>morning).
>
>We are still looking for potential equipment and/or bandwidth donors to
>move to, so that we can offer shell accounts to chapter Perl Mongers
>again, possibly set up our own CPAN mirror, etc.  If you or your company
>can help out with a server (any Pentium-II or better PC could do the
>job, as long as it has an ok amount of RAM and a decent size HD) and/or
>a place to put it with a fixed IP address, please send mail to me
>(bruce at brtnet.org) or to Bob Kleeman (rkleeman at energoncube.com).
>
>Also, does anyone in the group have a preference for the OS installed on
>the SDPM server when we get one??  Linux? A BSD variant?  I have OpenBSD
>2.8 and FreeBSD 4.3, as well as RedHat and Debian Linux, available to
>install on a server.
>
>-- Bruce
>

>~sdpm~
>
>The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org
>
>List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org
>
>If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list,
>you can send mail to <majordomo at happyfunball.pm.org> with the following
>command in the body of your email message:
>
>    unsubscribe san-diego-pm-list
>
>If you ever need to get in contact with the owner of the list,
>(if you have trouble unsubscribing, or have questions about the
>list itself) send email to <owner-san-diego-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org> .
>This is the general rule for most mailing lists when you need
>to contact a human.

~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org