A clarification regarding OS2k1.

Wilson, Doug Doug_Wilson at intuit.com
Tue Jul 24 10:28:12 CDT 2001

~sdpm~

> > cabney wrote:
> >
> > > "Cliff Radcliff would do it" isn't a metric I'm familiar
> with in my
> > > quest for moral valuations. :)

> Well, I had something similar in mind and had no intention of
> putting her in
> the position of making a choice between life as usual and the gulag
> archipelago. :)

I must have been morally corrupted from early on, then, because
though I've never been to a Perl Conference, I've gone
with my wife to Archeology conferences, and my experience is that
security-wise, they're all about the same (and the same as this).
See the exhibits, pop in to a lecture on excavation of Scandinavian
coastal villages, etc, mostly just passing time waiting for my wife.

And it was about the same at the Informix conference that was here
about a year or so ago. Saw the keynotes, and attended an evening BOF.

So maybe I've just been conditioned to the
fact that generally, no one cares about whether you're registered or
not. Though if you can get your company to pay for it, or at least
have a corporation to write off the expense against, then that's a
bonus (or if I could afford it...).

So, while you could easily make the argument that its 'wrong' to
attend without paying, I could also make (maybe a somewhat lame)
argument that they just don't have a price structure that fits
me. I'd glady pay 10,20, maybe $30 to hear Larry speak, but not
$1000. And it would be a waste for me to pay $1000 since I'm not
attending the whole conference; I've got to work this week :-)

-Doug
~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org