nedit

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Sun Jul 1 14:20:42 CDT 2001

~sdpm~
On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Joel Fentin wrote:
> At the last meeting I asked what people edited with. Most said nedit
> which I had never heard of.
>
> I am using Windoz-95 so I downloaded nedit-5.1.1-win32-noxmim.zip and
> unzipped it. A file called readme-win32 has the instructions which are
> mostly Greek to me. The first instruction is: First of all, do not
> forget to install the X server ;-))
>
> I have no idea what that means.
>
> It only gets more confusing from there.

Just based on the nedit home page ( http://nedit.org )

It looks like you have 1 of the 4 requirements listed here (the binary or
sources for nedit)
http://nedit.org/download/win32.shtml

You need also to have CYGWIN
<http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq_1.html#SEC1> and an X Server
<http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci213407,00.html>
running. You have a multi-step process ahead of you - but the nedit.org
age should help some.

If all of that is too daunting I can suggest Textpad
<http://www.textpad.com/> and UltraEdit32 <http://www.ultraedit.com/>
which are Win32 native.

Good luck!

	- Joe
--
...........  Joe Crawford : thinking and design about the web
.... enigmatic narcissism and miscellany : http://artlung.com

~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org