running an application using perl

Bill Wood wwood at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 26 13:20:19 CST 2001

~sdpm~
Mike,

You need to have the url reference a file that your program you want to
launch is defined to open based on the association of the program to a file
extension. Whether or not client is prompted with the windows open/download
dialog box depend to some extent on the options set for that file
extension. See Start>Settings>Folder Options>File Types.

Bill Wood

At 10:34 AM 1/26/2001, you wrote:
>~sdpm~
>Simple question but having troubles trying to find the answer.  I'm using
>CGI and I want to run an appllication when the user click on an image.
>When I do the following:
>
>	$q->a({-href=>'c:\Program Files\path_to_executable'},
>$q->img({src=>'/icons/webcast/buttons/blue_diamond.gif', -align=>'right'})),
>
>it wants to download the file.  I want to be able to execute the file
>directly from the webpage.
>
>Would I have to use javascript?
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Mike Vasquez
>Sr. Webcast Manager - Broadcast Lab
>Akamai Technologies
>6815 Flanders Ave.
>San Diego, CA  92121
>858.909.3106 (w)
>858.442.9287 (c)
>http://akamai.com
>
>~sdpm~
>
>The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org
>
>List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org
>
>If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list,
>you can send mail to <majordomo at happyfunball.pm.org> with the following
>command in the body of your email message:
>
>    unsubscribe san-diego-pm-list
>
>If you ever need to get in contact with the owner of the list,
>(if you have trouble unsubscribing, or have questions about the
>list itself) send email to <owner-san-diego-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org> .
>This is the general rule for most mailing lists when you need
>to contact a human.

~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org