parsing

Chris Radcliff chris at velocigen.com
Thu May 4 16:26:55 CDT 2000

~sdpm~

Steve Meier wrote:
> Sorry to bother you again but I have another one for you if you have the time.

I always have the time for Perl problems. They're fun! :)

> I have my ping parsed down to this line:
>
>         Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms
>
> I need to parse out 0ms after "Average ="

<perl>
my $string = 'Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms';

my $result;
if ($string =~ /Average.+?\s(.+?)$/) {
	$result = $1;
}
print qq{The result is $result.\n};

</perl>

Basically, you're looking for 'Average', then some characters until you
get to whitespace, then the thing you want, then the end of the line.

> These regular expressions are a killer! I appreciate your help.

You might want to check out the _Perl_Pocket_Reference_ by Johan
Vromans. It has a really handly reference on regular expressions that's
saved my butt many a time.

Cheers,
~chris
~sdpm~