system call exit status

Bobby Kleemann rkleeman at neta.com
Thu Jun 1 19:05:26 CDT 2000

~sdpm~
>From what I read in my copy of the man page (pull from it what you will)
(see below).  I'm not sure what it means in your case (I don't see a 255
error code) so you may want to visit whatever website there is
(ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/infozip/Info-ZIP.html) and see if there is
more documentation on error codes.

DIAGNOSTICS
     The exit status (or error level) approximates the exit codes
     defined  by PKWARE and takes on the following values, except
     under VMS:

          0    normal; no errors or warnings detected.

          1    one or more warning errors were  encountered,  but
               processing  completed  successfully  anyway.  This
               includes zipfiles where  one  or  more  files  was
               skipped  due  to unsupported compression method or
               encryption with an unknown password.

          2    a  generic  error  in  the  zipfile   format   was
               detected.   Processing may have completed success-
               fully anyway;  some  broken  zipfiles  created  by
               other archivers have simple work-arounds.

          3    a severe error in the zipfile format was detected.
               Processing probably failed immediately.

          4    unzip was unable to allocate  memory  for  one  or
               more buffers during program initialization.

          5    unzip was unable to allocate memory or  unable  to
               obtain a tty to read the decryption password(s).

          6    unzip  was  unable  to  allocate   memory   during
               decompression to disk.

          7    unzip was unable to  allocate  memory  during  in-
               memory decompression.

          8    [currently not used]

          9    the specified zipfiles were not found.

Info-ZIP      Last change: 3 November 1997 (v5.32)             11

Maintenance Commands                                    UNZIP(1M)

          10   invalid options  were  specified  on  the  command
               line.

          11   no matching files were found.

          50   the disk is (or was) full during extraction.

          51   the end of the ZIP archive was encountered  prema-
               turely.

          80   the user aborted unzip prematurely with  control-C
               (or similar)

          81   testing or extraction of one or more files  failed
               due  to  unsupported compression methods or unsup-
               ported decryption.

          82   no  files  were  found  due  to   bad   decryption
               password(s).   (If  even  one file is successfully
               processed, however, the exit status is 1.)

     VMS interprets standard Unix (or PC) return values as other,
     scarier-looking  things,  so  unzip  instead  maps them into
     VMS-style status codes.  The current mapping is as  follows:
     1  (success) for normal exit, 0x7fff0001 for warning errors,
     and (0x7fff000? + 16*normal_unzip_exit_status) for all other
     errors,  where the `?' is 2 (error) for unzip values 2, 9-11
     and 80-82, and 4 (fatal error) for the remaining ones  (3-8,
     50,  51).   In  addition,  there  is a compilation option to
     expand upon this behavior:  defining RETURN_CODES results in
     a human-readable explanation of what the error status means.

 _ _ _
 Bobby Kleemann <rkleeman at neta.com>
 http://www.neta.com/~rkleeman/

~sdpm~