int(rand() + 1), int(rand()) +1, and hashes

Eugene Tsyrklevich eugene at securityarchitects.com
Sun Jul 16 13:38:00 CDT 2000

~sdpm~
On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 11:17:07AM -0700, C. Abney wrote:
> ~sdpm~
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Eugene Tsyrklevich wrote:
>
> > doesn't make sense right? i mean both number are supposed to be integers..
>
> I think I'd hesitate before calling it a "feature", if that's what you mean
> by 'sense'. :)
>
> I admit my case was pretty marginal (int's as hash keys) but you've shown
> that it's a general feature of Perl with your $a+=1 example.  Using a float
> as an array index is fairly common practice <g> so the Perl Porters probably
> stuck in the auto-truncate rule in the compiler?  I can't see doing this for
> hash keys though... too wierd.  I think I'm learning too much about perl's

hash keys are supposed to be strings (perl does the translation for you
i.e. float -> string)

> internals (I'd rather be playing with Markov chains...)

combine the two :-)
http://search.cpan.org/doc/ALANSZ/Decision-Markov-0.01/Markov.pm

(not really markov chains but close enough :)

> So for a weak-typed language like Perl maybe it is a 'feature'.  I assumed
> arithmetic type rules were like C's.

it's not a feature. more like a bug. i talked to mjd and he asked me
to post the question to comp.lang.perl.moderated. i did and i CC'd thist list
as well. we will see what comes out of it

> Thanks for the tip on Devel.pm!
>
> CA
> --
> Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman is a real guy. No way a cartoon could beat
> up a real guy! -- Teddy                                               C. Abney
~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org