Web browser providing visibility

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Tue Dec 5 00:50:08 CST 2000

~sdpm~
Hello John...

"John R. Comeau" wrote:
> ~sdpm~
> This isn't exactly a Perl question, but I do have a Perl project in
> mind eventually.  Does anyone know of a browser that provides
> visibility to all the HTTP commands that are sent across the network?
> That is, I'd like to see the full text of all the HTTP messages that
> I'm sending and receiving for GETs and POSTs.

Interesting question: found this reference from the O'Reilly book "Web
Client Programming with Perl":
http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/webclient/ch03.html#40010

And this article ("HTTP Headers Revealed!") :
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/36/index3a.html
has this:

<snippet>
Unfortunately, the most common browsers don't allow you to see the
underlying HTTP communication that causes these actions. (Hey, if you
happen to work on a browser development team, here's an idea for a
useful new feature!) The notable exception is Lynx. If you telnet into
just about any Unix box and start up Lynx with the -mime_header flag, it
will give you back the raw HTTP.
</snippet>

So if you have access to a lynx, then you can do it.

[artlung@(HOST):~]$ lynx -mime_header http://www.google.com
HTTP/1.0 200 OK