how to interact with JavaScript?

Alan Stewart astewart at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Apr 26 18:04:04 CDT 2000

~sdpm~
On 26 Apr 00, at 13:39, John R. Comeau wrote:

>~sdpm~
>How does one write a program to interact with a JavaScript-based web
>page?  We have an intranet page written in JavaScript like the
>following:
>
>    html
>    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>    Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:16:37 GMT
>    Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
>    Client-Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:16:44 GMT
>    Client-Peer: 157.152.183.134:80
>    Title: ARWeb 3.0.2

>    <TITLE>ARWeb 3.0.2</TITLE>
>    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
>

>    var CURRENT_PAGE = null;
>    var PAGES = new makeObject();
>    var PICKLIST_WIN=null;
>
>    function loadPickList()
>    {
>    	return PickListStr;
>    };
>
>etc.

Are you asking how to generate and use Javascript, as some other people
have indicated, or are you asking how to respond to someone else's
Javascript with (perhaps) Perl?

In that page example above, the Javascript actually runs in the browser on
your (client) machine. If you want to interact (meaning pick something from
the picklist), you are trying to interact with another window, by emulating the
user at the keyboard/mouse.

If you mean you retrieved this page with something like LWP and you want
to interact with it, you can't, because it's not running anywhere. You could
read the Javascript and figure out what it sends back and then do that in Perl.

Which of these several things are you trying for?
~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org