What I learned at the meeting last night. (1)

Alan Stewart astewart at spawar.navy.mil
Fri Oct 15 11:31:09 CDT 1999

~sdpm~
On 14 Oct 99 at 21:24, Joel Fentin wrote:

>~sdpm~
>I learned about =begin and =end. Everywhere I use them, I ruin
>the program. Here is an example program. My experience is these
>can be placed anywhere in the program to ruin it. This program
>works when they are gone.
>
>#!/perl/bin/perl -w
>#SimpleForm.cgi
>use CGI::Carp qw(carpout fatalsToBrowser);      # sends errors to
>browzer
>use strict;
>use CGI qw(:standard);
>
>=begin comment text
>=end comment text

=pod comment text
=cut comment text

>  print header(), start_html("1");
>  print h1("11");
>  print hr(), start_form();
>  print p(submit("111"));
>  print end_form(), hr();
>  print end_html();
>
>--
>Joel Fentin    tel: 760-749-8863    FAX: 760-749-8864

I should have remembered this the other night. =begin and =end mark stuff to be
parsed by some other external parser. =pod and =cut start and stop Perl code
parsing. The docs in modules start with =head1 and end with =cut. The pod doc says
to use =pod and =cut to add additional paragraphs to the code.
Alan Stewart          )-[]-(           Electronics Engineer
Code D621           ~        ~         Network Operations
SPAWARSYSCEN       ~          ~  \     Satellite Communications
53560 Hull St   ( ~            ~  )    tel (619)524-3625
San Diego,CA  __|___             /|    fax (619)524-2607
92152-5001   ^\____/^^^^^^\    __| |_  astewart at spawar.navy.mil
~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org