FTP Indexing

Eugene Tsyrklevich eugenet at mailcity.com
Thu Jul 15 15:40:46 CDT 1999

>Do you guys know much about indexing remote FTP sites?
> Trying to do that for a job using net::ftp and not
>having much success at it.
>
>Basically need to get a directory structure printed out.
>
>Joe

the attached code does what you have asked for..

there are several small problems with my program but i don't have time to fix them:

1. I don't check if i have visited a directory already.. (it's possible to get stuck in
an infinite loop if two directories link to each other) the way to fix that would be
to have a hash with the names of the directories that we have visited already

2. the directory name that i pass to my subroutine 'list' can get screwed up
(eg /////pub/../blah/) .. but it looks like ftp server understands those just fine

Eugene

P.S. Perl docs are at http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/doc/manual/html/pod/