[Saltlake-pm] Meeting change (again)

David Oswald daoswald at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:40:01 PDT 2014

We have two great meetings lined up:

June 17th at 7:00pm, at Business Resource Center in Orem:

"Program the OpenWest USB Widget"

The folks at The Transistor have teamed up with Provo Linux Users Group to
bring us this presentation.  The content is *not* Perl.  If you got one of
those USB widgets at OpenWest, bring it, and we'll learn how to program it.

My understanding is that this is going to be Python based.  However, I'm
hoping to learn enough to understand how to bring the principles back over
to Perl using the CPAN module, Device::USB.

NOTE: The meeting is not in our usual location, and not Perl-centric.

July 15th at 7:00pm, at Mountainland Applied Technical College,
Thanksgiving Point Campus:

"Perl via Paper Ink Metal and Oil"

John Whitney will be giving us an extended version of his OpenWest
presentation:

Presentation and demonstration on refurbishing two 1970 Teletype
Model 33 Data Terminals, and using then via a Linux box, with Perl,
Bash and everything else, to receive and send email via the Internet,
to print the news (Drudge), the weather (National Weather Service),
and Wikipedia information.  Used C++, Assembly, Perl, Mojolicious,
CPAN, and Perl Source Filtering to get everything to work.  Will
demonstrate custom designed PCB hardware using embedded
micro-controllers to bridge 50 years of computer technology.
Everything used was Open Source, including the PCB design
software, KiCad.  After the presentation, there will be 30 minutes
for Q and A, along with some hands on use of these amazing
electro-mechanical wonders of yesteryear, the original Input / Output
devices for early mini computers of the 1970's.

For this event we request (but do not *require*) Eventbrite registration:
http://slpm.eventbrite.com/?aff=estw

As we are inviting other groups to participate, registration will help us
to ensure that
we don't over-fill our room capacity, and that we have enough refreshments
on hand.

Finally: The June 17th "Program the OpenWest USB Widget" meeting will be in
place of our regular monthly meeting.  Typically our meeting is the 2nd
Tuesday each month.  I was out of town this month at the time, and shifted
to the 17th, not remembering that this would conflict with the "widget"
meeting.  Personally, I'd like to attend the widget meeting, so we're just
joining in with PLUG/Transistor on this one.

--

David Oswald
daoswald at gmail.com