[Saltlake-pm] Perl via Paper Ink Metal and Oil

David Oswald daoswald at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 11:35:23 PDT 2014

John Whitney has graciously accepted our request to present to Salt Lake
Perl Mongers, Provo Linux Users Group, and other UTOS affiliates his
fantastic demonstration that marries historical hardware with the modern
information superhighway:

Perl via Paper Ink Metal and Oil

In this presentation John will demonstrate two 1970's era Teletypes that
have been refurbished and restored.  But that's only the beginning.  He has
built custom hardware and code running on the hardware that facilitates
interfacing this outdated hardware with a modern Linux server, which in
turn provides Internet connectivity to the Teletypes.

A 50 minute version of this presentation was given at OpenWest, in the Perl
track.  For this event we're giving John 90 minutes so that he can more
fully demonstrate how it all works, as well as so that he can offer a
little more "hands on" time to the audience.

This special event constitutes Salt Lake Perl Mongers' July meeting.  It is
at an alternate location, to provide for additional seating beyond what our
normal conference room can offer.

Here are the event details:

Tuesday July 15th at 7:00pm - 9:00pm

Perl via Paper Ink Metal and Oil

Mountainland Applied Technology College
Thanksgiving Point Campus
2301 Ashton Blvd.
Lehi, UT 84043

This is a free event.  EventBrite registration is requested, but *NOT*
required.  Registering will just help us to be sure we have adequate
refreshments and seating.

Registration is at:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/perl-via-paper-ink-metal-and-oil-tickets-11907296043

I hope to see you all there.  This is going to be a lot of fun.

Dave

--

David Oswald
daoswald at gmail.com