[Saltlake-pm] LWP Packaging Weirdness

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 10:14:57 PDT 2013

Okay, this is driving me crazy. Those of you using LWP on Red Hat or
Ubuntu will find the following files on your system:

/usr/bin/HEAD
/usr/bin/GET
/usr/bin/POST

Those of us running Arch will not find those. On Red Hat, you can find
these attached to the perl-libwww-perl package:

http://pastebin.com/wwt8c0x3

If you investigate on Ubuntu, you will discover those files belonging
to the libwww-perl package. But they don't belong to the perl-libwww
package on Arch. So I started looking around upstream:

https://github.com/libwww-perl/libwww-perl
http://search.cpan.org/dist/libwww-perl/

They just don't exist.

You may notice that the pastebin above is for 5.837, and think that
maybe those files were pulled from recent versions. But if you go back
and browse CPAN and GitHub for those versions, you still won't find
them.

Where the foo are these files coming from?

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,