[SLpm] Re: what next?

Spencer Christensen spencer at mecworks.com
Sun Jul 14 15:20:52 CDT 2002

Quoting "Doran L. Barton" <fozz at xmission.com>:

> Regular meetings - not necessarily monthly, but maybe every two or three
> months.
>
> What about Perl workshops?
>
> The best thing we can do as a group of Perl enthusiasts is to spread the
> word about how darn cool Perl is and why we use it. Why do we prefer it
> over Python, Java, and PHP (when we do)? Perl Demo Days?
>
> That may be a lot to ask of a group of professional programmers who
> aren't
> sure how much time they have to devote to a user group, but, with
> planning,
> I think we could pull it off... if we want to.
>
> -=Fozz

Sounds good to me!  I was thinking along the same lines.  Maybe have a few
presentations each meeting on what people are doing with perl in their projects,
cool/helpful perl modules, or short tutorial workshops.  I'm interested to see
how perl is being used by others, and show off some cool perl projects.

We could also have perl obfuscation or perl poetry contests.  Or panel
discussions.  Or intro to perl nights for beginners.

Do these ideas seem practical?  I'd like to think so.  What do you think?  Any
other ideas?

-spencer christensen
spencer at mecworks.com
Salt Lake Perl Mongers group