[roch-pm] Fwd from ["Andreas Borchert" <borchert@mathematik.uni-ulm.de>]]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Jan 30 17:49:24 CST 2003

-------- Original Message --------
On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:49:48PM -0500, Geoffrey Bradford wrote:
> I'm having a problem getting Compress::Bzip2 to install. Every time I
> try I get the following message during make test
[...]
> t/test....Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/Compress/Bzip2/Bzip2.so' for module
> Compress::Bzip2: blib/arch/
> auto/Compress/Bzip2/Bzip2.so: undefined symbol: bzBuffToBuffCompress at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-li
> nux/DynaLoader.pm line 206.

Apparently bzlib is installed as a static library. By default, if you
create a shared object that references a static library, the static
library is not included itself into the shared object. If Perl attempts
to load your shared object, the dynamic loader detects that the Perl
binary does not include the bzlib library and you get error messages
about undefined symbols.

The easiest solution is to build a shared bzlib. Alternatively you
have to convince your linkage editor to include static libraries into
shared objects. Maybe, ``-Wl,-whole-archive'' could be helpful if you
are using GNU ld.

Andreas.

--
Dr. Andreas F. Borchert, SAI, Universitaet Ulm | One should make everything
Helmholtzstrasse 18, E02, Tel +49 731 50-23572 | as simple as possible, but