[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com: Achieving Closure]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Wed May 29 21:33:46 CDT 2002

        		  Perl.com update
Is your e-business secure enough?

Learn why it's vital to encrypt your business transactions,
secure your intranets, and authenticate your Web site with
the strongest encryption available-128-bit SSL. To learn
more, get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web Site
for Business" now:
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n20370091180057000

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

ActiveState is promoting the new release of their PerlMx mail
filtering package with a free webcast tomorrow, at 10am Pacific
time. Tune in to hear about how to implement email management
policies in Perl using PerlMx. We'll be bringing you an article
about PerlMx in a few weeks time.

     http://www.activestate.com/Products/PerlMx/spam_webcast.plex
     http://www.activestate.com/Products/PerlMx

I feel a little naughty recommending this, since I co-wrote it,
but Extending and Embedding Perl, a book about the Perl XS,
embedding and Perl internals, is available for pre-order from
Amazon. Despite what the web page says, it should be out around
July.

The June Perl Review Golf Challenge, supported by us at O'Reilly
and the fine folk at ActiveState, will begin at midnight UTC on
the 1st of June. See the usual web site for the competition rules
and guidelines:

     http://perlgolf.sourceforge.net/
     http://www.perlreview.com/

Finally, all the Perl mailing lists on perl.org are now available
on Google groups for your searching pleasure:

     http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&group=perl

* What's new on www.perl.com?

One feature that Perl 5 apologists and functional programmers
alike tend to rave about is something called a "closure". In
fact, it's one feature which Perl has in common with this very
different style of programming.  But what is a closure, and what
use is it to you in your ordinary work? As I explain, it may be
something that you wouldn't even notice unless you stopped to
think about it...

     http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/29/closure.html/

Don't miss next week, when we bring you Larry Wall's next
installment of the Perl 6 design. I've seen the drafts, and
believe me, it's going to blow your mind.

Enjoy,

SC

New Report from O'Reilly Research:  Planning for Web Services

Planning for Web Services is a new report from O'Reilly Research
by industry visionary Clay Shirky. This report guides CTOs and CIOs
through the inflated claims, competing standards, and amalgam of
acronyms to arrive at a realistic appraisal of the business impact
of Web Services. $495  Save $100! Use or mention code wsrpen.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wsrep

*** Featured Articles ***

Achieving Closure
What's a closure, and why does everyone go on about them?

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/29/closure.html

***

Improving mod_perl Sites' Performance: Part 1
What do we need to think about when optimizing mod_perl applications?
Stas Bekman explains how hardware, software and good programming
come into play.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/29/mod_perl-opt.html

***

Finding a mod_perl ISP... or Becoming One
You're ready to use mod_perl -- but do you have a server to run it
on? Stas Bekman explains what an ISP needs to do to run mod_perl
programs, and how to find an ISP that lets you do so.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/22/mod_perl-isp.html

***

The Perl You Need To Know - Part 3
Stas Bekman finishes his introduction to the basic Perl skills you
need to use mod_perl; this week, globals versus lexicals, modules
and packages.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/14/mod_perl.html

***

Where Wizards Fear To Tread
So you're a Perl master. You've got XS sorted. You know how the
internals work. Hey, there's nothing we can teach you on perl.com
that you don't already know. You think? Our new series teaches the
topics others only dream about, starting with the Perl op tree.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/07/optree.html

The 4th O'Reilly Open Source Convention, July 22-26, 2002
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

The Perl Conference 6  -- You cannot afford to miss this conference
if you want to sharpen your Perl skills, mingle with the elite of the
Perl community, and learn all about Parrot and the state of Perl 6!
Featuring Larry Wall, Damian Conway, Slomo Mellmann,  and many more!
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

Build a Better Bookshelf with Safari Tech Books Online

Get your first 14 days free when you subscribe to Safari Tech
Books Online, with 600 of the best technical books available from
O'Reilly and other top publishers. Select ten books to
search, bookmark, and annotate.  Cut and paste code examples.
Find your answers fast. Sign up today!
https://www.oreillynet.com/safaripromo/oreilly-14.html