[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com: CPAN PLUS]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Mar 28 21:28:08 CST 2002

        		  Perl.com update
        --------------------------------------
        The Email for www.perl.com Subscribers

Build a Better Bookshelf - Online, with Safari Tech Books Online

Get your first 14 days free when you subscribe to Safari Tech
Books Online, with 600 of the best technical books available from
O'Reilly and other top publishers. Select up to ten books to
search, bookmark, and annotate.  Cut and paste code examples.
Find your answers fast. Sign up today!
https://www.oreillynet.com/safaripromo/oreilly-14.html

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

It's been a bit of a quiet week, as Easter fast approaches.  Elaine
Ashton, however, has been very busy. Some time ago, she approached
Sun Microsystems asking if they'd like to donate some hardware to
the CPAN search facility, search.cpan.org. They said yes, and so
Elaine took some days out this week to make the long drive over to
Sun's place in California to pick up the hardware and bring it to
its home in St. Louis. As a result, you should notice that
search.cpan is now quite definitely faster than ever. Thanks a
million Elaine, and thanks also to the good folks at Sun, especially
Andrew Roach, Tim Sparlin and Alan Burlison.

     http://search.cpan.org/
     http://www.axis-of-aevil.net/archives/000089.html

Perl 6 fans will be glad to know that Damian is currently putting
the finishing touches on the latest Exegesis, which we hope to
bring you next week.

* What's new on www.perl.com?

The other major Perl story this week has been the release of
CPANPLUS, a replacement for the trusty CPAN.pm module for
installing distributions from CPAN. CPANPLUS aims to be a modular,
extensible, clean rewrite, which one day hopes to replace CPAN.pm
in the Perl core. Here to tell us about it is the original creator
and overseer of the project, Jos Boumans.

     http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/26/cpanplus.html

I'm heading away for an Easter break for the next week, but perl.com
will not sleep! Depending on how Damian's getting on, we'll either
be bringing you his Exegesis, or the next installment of our ongoing
mod_perl series.

Enjoy, and have a good holiday!

SC

Free Macromedia JRUN 4 Trial!

Free JRUN 4 Trial: Fast, Affordable, Reliable J2EE 1.3
Speed up development and deployment of high performance J2EE apps
With the most intuitive, easy-to-use, J2EE application server on the
market. With simplified management, web services, and clustering.
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/macromedia/jr/1

*** Featured Articles **

CPAN PLUS
For many years the CPAN.pm module has helped people install Perl
modules. But it's also been clunky, fragile and amazingly difficult
to use programmatically. Jos Boumans introduces CPANPLUS, his
project to change all that.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/26/cpanplus.html

***

mod_perl in 30 minutes
This week, Stas Bekman shows us how to install and configure
mod_perl, and how to start accelerating CGI scripts with
Apache::Registry.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/22/modperl.html

***

A Perl Hacker's Foray into .NET
We've all heard about Microsoft's .NET project. What is it, and
what does it mean for Perl?

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/19/dotnet.html

***

Introducing AxKit
This is the first in the series of articles by Barrie Slaymaker
on setting up and running AxKit. AxKit is a mod_perl application
for dynamically transforming XML. In this first article, we focus
on getting started with AxKit.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/12/axkit.html

The O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
P2P, Web Services, Wireless, and Beyond . . .
May 13-16, 2002   Westin Santa Clara, CA

Participate in building the Internet OS.
Day of Tutorials only $200 when you purchase a Conf. Pass
Register Now! and Save $695! Offer ends April 5.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com