[roch-pm] Perl.com: A Perl Hacker's Foray into .NET (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Mar 21 09:07:05 CST 2002

       		  Perl.com update
       --------------------------------------
       The Email for www.perl.com Subscribers

Free Macromedia JRUN 4 Trial!

Free JRUN 4 Trial: Fast, Affordable, Reliable J2EE 1.3
Speed up development and deployment of high performance J2EE apps
With the most intuitive, easy-to-use, J2EE application server on the
market. With simplified management, web services, and clustering.
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/macromedia/jr/1

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

Late last night, I put together the finishing touches to Parrot 0.0.4
and released that to the world. My final Parrot release includes a
new JIT compiler, arena-based memory allocation, copying garbage
collection, an IO subsystem, a regular expression engine, and much
more besides. I say "my final", because now the baton hands over to
Jeff Goff. Good luck, Jeff, and I hope everyone enjoys the new
release:

    http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-internals@perl.org/msg09054.html
    http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SI/SIMON/parrot-0.0.4.tar.gz

Speaking of releases, there's a new release of AxKit, the
dynamic XML transformation engine we previewed last week. This
is mainly a bugfix release, but adds a number of examples.

    http://www.axkit.org/

http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=02/03/20/0326205&mode=nocomment&tid=5

And finally, what happens if you mix Perl and St. Patrick's Day?

* What's new on www.perl.com?

I'm sure you've all heard of Microsoft's .NET project; there's been
a lot of hype around it, but what is it, and what does it mean to
you and me? This week, I investigate Microsoft's .NET Framework from
a Perl perspective -- how it compares with the Parrot interpreter,
what Perl can learn from C#, and how Perl and .NET interact now and
in the future.  Even if you're a rabid Microsoft-hater, it's still
worth taking a look at new technologies to see what we can learn
from them:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/19/dotnet.html

The O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
P2P, Web Services, Wireless, and Beyond . . .
May 13-16, 2002   Westin Santa Clara, CA

Participate in building the Internet OS.
Day of Tutorials only $200 when you purchase a Conf. Pass
Register Now! and Save $695! Offer ends March 22.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

*** Featured Articles ***

A Perl Hacker's Foray into .NET
We've all heard about Microsoft's .NET project. What is it, and
what does it mean for Perl?

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/19/dotnet.html

***

Introducing AxKit
This is the first in the series of articles by Barrie Slaymaker
on setting up and running AxKit. AxKit is a mod_perl application
for dynamically transforming XML. In this first article, we focus
on getting started with AxKit.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/12/axkit.html

***

Stopping Spam with SpamAssassin
SpamAssassin and Vipul's Razor are two Perl-based tools that can
be used to dramatically reduce the number of junk emails you need
to see.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/06/spam.html

***

Why mod_perl?
In the first of a series of articles from mod_perl guru, Stas
Bekman, we begin by taking a look at what mod_perl is and what
it can do for us.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/02/26/whatismodperl.html

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com