[roch-pm] Perl.com Newsletter: Improving mod_perl Sites' Performance (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Jun 20 15:18:09 CDT 2002

                  Perl.com update
FREE E-COMMERCE SECURITY GUIDE

Is your e-business built on a strong, secure foundation? Find
out with VeriSign's FREE White Paper, "Building an E-Commerce
Trust Infrastructure." Learn how to authenticate your site to
customers, secure your web servers with 128-Bit SSL encryption,
and accept secure payments online. Click here:
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n20390091180057000

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

Yet Another Perl Conference is nearly upon us, and as I polish up
my presentations and pack my bags, there's time to note that the
schedule for lightning talks has been posted. Looks like there'll
be some fun stuff!

    http://perl.plover.com/lt/yapc2002.html

Do you remember the perl5-porters and perl6 summaries we used to
run? I'd very much like to run those again, but this needs *YOU*
to help write them. If you're interested in helping out, please
let me know, and we'll discuss what's involved.

    simon at oreillynet.com

And finally, want to win free training in Seattle? Every dollar
you donate to the Perl Foundation enters you into a raffle for a
training session with Damian Conway. Kudos to Consultix for coming
up with this neat way to raise funds!

    http://teachmeperl.com/apworkshop.html
    http://donate.perl-foundation.org/

* What's new on www.perl.com?

Stas Bekman is back with his mini-series on optimizing mod_perl
applications. Before you can start optimizing, it's a good idea
to know exactly what you need to optimize, and that means
benchmarking. Stas introduces the key Apache and mod_perl
benchmarking tools.

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/06/19/mod_perl.html

Next week, we'll all be at Yet Another Perl Conference, whence
we'll be bringing you plenty of updates about the goings-on; be
sure to keep checking our weblogs column for the latest!

Enjoy,

SC

The 4th O'Reilly Open Source Convention, July 22-26, 2002
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

The Perl Conference 6  -- You cannot afford to miss this conference
if you want to sharpen your Perl skills, mingle with the elite of the
Perl community, and learn all about Parrot and the state of Perl 6!
Featuring Larry Wall, Damian Conway, Slomo Mellmann,  and many more!
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

*** Featured Articles ***

Improving mod_perl Sites' Performance: Part 2
Before making any optimizations to mod_perl applications, it's
important to know what you need to be optimizing. Benchmarks are
key to this, and Stas Beckman introduces the important tools for
mod_perl benchmarking.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/06/19/mod_perl.html

***

PDF Presentations Using AxPoint
In this month's Perl and XML column on XML.com, Kip Hampton
describes AxPoint, a way to create presentations in PDF using Perl
and XML.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/06/19/perl-xml.html

***

Where Wizards Fear To Tread
One of the new features coming in Perl 5.8 will be reliable
interpreter threading, thanks primarily to the work of Artur
Bergman. In this article, he explains what you need to do to make
your Perl modules thread-safe.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/06/11/threads.html

***

Apocalypse 5
In part 5 of his design for Perl 6, Larry takes a long hard look
at regular expressions, and comes up with some interesting ideas...

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/06/04/apo5.html

***

Achieving Closure
What's a closure, and why does everyone go on about them?

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/29/closure.html

New Report from O'Reilly Research:  Planning for Web Services

Planning for Web Services is a new report from O'Reilly Research
by industry visionary Clay Shirky. This report guides CTOs and CIOs
through the inflated claims, competing standards, and amalgam of
acronyms to arrive at a realistic appraisal of the business impact
of Web Services. $495  Save $100! Use or mention code wsrpen.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wsrep

Build a Better Bookshelf with Safari Tech Books Online

Get your first 14 days free when you subscribe to Safari Tech
Books Online, with over 700 of the best technical books available from
O'Reilly and other top publishers. Select ten books to
search, bookmark, and annotate.  Cut and paste code examples.
Find your answers fast. Sign up today!
https://www.oreillynet.com/safaripromo/oreilly-14.html