[roch-pm] Perl.com: Parrot Magic Cookies (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Fri Feb 1 10:56:18 CST 2002

       		   Perl.com update

Improve your marketability by increasing your skills,
experience and knowledge by gaining certification through
the Oracle Certified Professional Program. These industry-
recognized credentials will help you emerge a winner. Click
here for a FREE OCP Starter Kit and receive 20% off testing.
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/perl/01/09/02/top

Hello, world!

This is Simon Cozens, managing editor of www.perl.com, here to
bring you the week's news and developments both in the Perl world
and on our own site.

* Perl at large.

Yet Another Perl Conference dates and location have been decided
upon by Yet Another Society. YAPC::America 2002 will take place
over June 26-28, at Washington University, St. Louis. An announcement
from YAS is forthcoming.

    http://www.yapc.org/
    http://www.yetanother.org/
    http://www.wustl.edu/

Other than that, it's been a pretty quiet week. New York Perl
Mongers played host to an interesting guest this week: Guido van
Rossum, of Python fame. According to some of the attendees I spoke
to, the meeting was enjoyable and civil, with Guido being tossed
the occasional obligatory low ball for fun. Meanwhile, over in
Denver, Randal Schwartz has been talking about Perl 6 to Perl Mongers
groups there.

* What's new on perl.com

We turn our attention back to Parrot this week, with Jeff Goff
explaining Parrot Magic Cookies. PMCs are the means by which
Parrot will be language-independent, and implementing different
types of PMC is the way to get your favourite language's data types
working on the Parrot interpreter. I know that at the moment, there
are people working on PMCs for Perl, Python and Scheme. Jeff shows
us how we write custom data types and use them inside Parrot.

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/01/30/pmcs.html

Enjoy,
SC

FREE COLDFUSION 5 Trial and Seminars Lets You Build Advanced Sites Fast

Macromedia ColdFusion 5 - the fastest way to build and deploy powerful
Web apps - empowers you to increase productivity, simplify management,
and enhance application performance. FREE TRIAL AND FREE SEMINARS.
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/macromedia/cf/2

*** Featured Articles ***

Beginning PMCs
Parrot promises to give us support for extensible data types.
Parrot Magic Cookie classes are the key to extending Parrot and
providing support for other languages, and Jeff Goff shows us how
to create them.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/01/30/pmcs.html

***

Finding CGI Scripts
Dave Cross explains what to watch out for when choosing CGI scripts
to run on your server, and announces a new best-of-breed project
for CGI scripting.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/cgi.html

***

Apocalypse 4
In his latest article explaining the design of Perl 6, Larry Wall
tackles the syntax of the language.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/01/15/apo4.html

The 4th O'Reilly Open Source Convention, July 22-26, 2002
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

The Call for Participation is now live--Individuals and
companies are invited to submit proposals
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/
Mark Your Calendar - Registration Begins April 1, 2002

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com