[roch-pm] Perl.com: The Perl You Need to Know (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Apr 25 08:19:56 CDT 2002

       		  Perl.com update
       --------------------------------------
       The Email for www.perl.com Subscribers

SECURE YOUR APACHE SERVERS WITH 128-BIT SSL ENCRYPTION

Guarantee transmitted data integrity, secure all
communication sessions and more with SSL encryption
from Thawte- a leading global certificate provider
for the Open Source community. Learn more in our
FREE GUIDE--click here to get it now:
http://www.gothawte.com/rd255.html

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

Sadly, we don't have an Apocalypse for you yet, but we have the
next best thing - Larry's let slip some of the things he expects
to be in Apocalypse 5, Regular Expressions. The new syntax
is... well, new.  Remember that these are only Larry's current
thoughts, and even when they do crystallise into an Apocalypse,
that's still subject to change later.

    http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-language@perl.org/msg09651.html
    http://dev.perl.org/perl6/apocalypse/

I've been reviewing a few Perl books this week, but I'm not the only
one:  Paul Barry's taken a look at Reuven Lerner's "Core Perl", and
shared his thoughts with Linux Journal:

    http://www.coreperl.com/

And finally, I don't know which is more scary - the fact that this
module exists, or that it's at version 1.03:

    http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Acme-Time-Asparagus-1.03

* What's new on www.perl.com?

This week, we go back to basics with Stas Bekman, who teaches us
about variable scoping and packages ready for the forthcoming
installments of his mod_perl course. If you're fuzzy on what $main::,
"our" and "use vars" mean, this is an excellent refresher:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/23/mod_perl.html

Later this week, I'll be taking a look at a new book from SAMS,
the "mod_perl Developer's Cookbook". It claims to teach "tricks,
solutions and mod_perl idioms" based on the authors' experiences.
Did it turn me into a mod_perl wizard overnight? Visit perl.com
later in the week to find out.

Enjoy!

SC

Award-Winning ColdFusion 5: High-Performance and Simplified Management

Increase productivity, simplify management, and enhance application
performance with Macromedia ColdFusion 5. Build content publishing
systems and self-service apps fast. FREE TRIAL. FREE SEMINARS.
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/macromedia/cf/1

*** Featured Articles ***

The Perl You Need To Know
This week, Stas Bekman goes back to basics to explain some Perl
topics of interest to his continuing mod_perl series.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/23/mod_perl.html

***

XSP, Taglibs and Pipelines
In this month's AxKit article, Barrie explains what a "taglib" is,
and how to use them to create dynamic pages inside of AxKit.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/16/axkit.html

***

Perl and XML on the Command Line
In this month's Perl and XML column, Kip Hampton explores how the
desperate Perl hacker can use its XML tools on the command line.

http://xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/17/perl-xml.html

***

Installing mod_perl without superuser privileges
In his continuing series on mod_perl, Stas Bekman explains how to
install a mod_perl-ized Apache on a server even if you don't have
root privileges.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/10/mod_perl.html

New Report from O'Reilly Research:  Planning for Web Services

Planning for Web Services is a new report from O'Reilly Research
by industry visionary Clay Shirky. This report guides CTOs and CIOs
through the inflated claims, competing standards, and amalgam of
acronyms to arrive at a realistic appraisal of the business impact
of Web Services. $495  Save $100! Use or mention code wsrpen
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wsrep/