[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com Newsletter: Parrot -- Some Assembly Required]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Wed Sep 19 22:29:43 CDT 2001

        		www.perl.com update

NuSphere MySQL Advantage delivers Enhanced MySQL to run your
business. Row-level locking, ACID transactions, crash recovery and
more are supplied by Gemini, a new MySQL table type that provides
the performance, scalability and reliability required by the most
demanding applications.  Get the NuSphere MySQL Advantage today.
Visit http://www.nusphere.com/op

Hello, world!

This is Simon Cozens, managing editor of www.perl.com, here to bring
you the week's news and developments both in the Perl world and on
our own site.

* Perl at large.

We all love O'Reilly books! OK, I work for O'Reilly, so you'd expect
me to say that, but even when I was a tiny little junior sysadmin I
knew that O'Reilly books are the source of all good technical knowledge.
That's why I'm happy to let you know of a neat way to increase your
O'Reilly book collection and be the envy of your colleagues - for a
limited time only, when you buy two O'Reilly books at participating
bookstores, we'll throw in another one free. See here for more details
of O'Reilly's Fall Bookseller Promotion:

     http://www.oreilly.com/news/retailpromo_0901.html

Whenever Michael Schwern and Damian Conway get together, you know that
something interesting's gonna happen. Fresh from battling with the Java
programmers at the JAOO conference, Michael has been thinking about
aspect-oriented programming; unfortunately, this involves such
horrific tricks as running code further up the stack, (similar to Tcl's
"uplevel") adding pre- and post-actions to subroutines, and other more
dirty tricks. Thankfully, Michael and Damian have hidden them away in
two new modules, which I'd encourage you to look at if you want to really
know how far Perl can stretch:

     http://www.yetanother.org/damian/diary_September_2001.html#day_17
     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/src/Sub-Uplevel-0.02.tar.gz
     http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Hook-LexWrap

And finally... Ask Bjorn Hansen is a sick, sick man. Last week, we
talked about Parrot, (and this week, we'll talk about it a little more)
and now he's gone and written the mod_parrot Apache module which runs
compiled Parrot bytecode in your Apache web server. At the moment, since
Parrot doesn't do much in the way of I/O, it isn't very exciting, but
it's the thought that counts...

     http://cvs.perl.org/cvsweb/mod_parrot/

* What's new on perl.com

Unfortunately, due to a combination of the heightened activity on the Perl 6
lists as a result of the Parrot developments and a sharp decrease in
free time, Bryan Warnock is no longer able to bring you Perl 6 Summaries.
We're eagerly looking for someone to take his place - if you think you
could do that, please get in touch with me on simon at oreillynet.com.

The Perl 5 Porters summary will return later this week, with all the
latest news in legacy Perl development. In particular, more work on
portability, whether or not we can or should distribute crypt, regular
expression hackery and much, much more. In the meantime, you can find
all previous P5P summaries here:

     http://www.perl.com/pub/at/4

So maybe you haven't been thoroughly following this whole Parrot thing.
Fear not! This week's feature article is an introduction to Parrot and
a tutorial in the Parrot assembly language; it tells you how to get a
copy of Parrot, how to build it, and how to create and run Parrot
assembly language programs. For the advanced developers, there's also
information on how to add operations to Parrot, what we plan to do with
it in the future, and how to get involved in taking it further.

     http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/18/parrot.html

Enjoy,
SC

TRY A FREE COLDFUSION 5 TRIAL AND BUILD
SOPHISTICATED SITES FAST.  Macromedia ColdFusion 5 - the
fastest way to build and deploy powerful Web applications -
empowers you to quickly assemble content publishing systems
and self-service applications. Try a FREE COLDFUSION DOWNLOAD:
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/network/08/macromedia/1

*** Perl.com Features ***

Parrot : Some Assembly Required
Last week, the first version of the Parrot assembler and virtual
machine was released; since then, we've seen a flurry of activity
and patches to it. Simon Cozens tells us all about what Parrot
is, how it relates to Perl 6, how to write in Parrot assembler,
and how to get involved in developing and improving Parrot.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/18/parrot.html

***

wxPerl: Another GUI for Perl
Jouke Visse brings us a new tutorial on how to use wxPerl to create
good-looking GUIs for Perl programs.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/12/wxtutorial1.html

***

Changing Hash Behaviour with tie
Hashes are one of the most useful data structures Perl provides,
but did you know you can make them even more useful by changing
the way they work? Dave Cross shows us how it's done.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/04/tiedhash.html

             *** A Special Offer from O'Reilly ***

XSLT--20% Off

Get 20% off the list price when you buy O'Reilly's recently
released "XSLT" (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/xslt/).  The author
explains XSLT by building from the basics to its more complex
and powerful possibilities, so that whether you're just starting out
in XSLT or looking for advanced techniques, you'll find the level of
information you need. Offer valid through the oreilly.com
shopping cart, or by calling O'Reilly Customer Service at
1-800-998-9938. Use the following code: W1DZ02.
Expires September 24, 2001.

Perl Helps The Disabled
As part of Mark-Jason Dominus's Lightning Talks at the 2001 O'Reilly
Open Source Convention, Jon Bjornstad gave a talk about a Perl/Tk
program he wrote to help a mute quadriplegic friend, Sue Simpson,
to speak and to better use her computer. Jon's talk received a grand
reception, not only for his clever use of Perl, but for a remarkably
unselfish application of his skills.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/27/bjornstad.html

***

Apache::CodeRed
Tired of seeing your web server logs fill up with Code Red error
messages? Reuven M. Lerner shows us how to write an Apache module
to notify system administrators about Code Red 2 attacks.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2001/08/16/code_red.html

Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies.

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the Inside Out.

ONLamp.com
http://onlamp.com
O'Reilly Network's High-Performance Web Development Site.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software, and online publishing.

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com

Brian Mathis
Direct Edge
http://www.directedge.com