[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com: wxPerl -- Another GUI for Perl]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Sun Sep 16 17:08:16 CDT 2001

                  www.perl.com update
        --------------------------------------
        The Email for www.perl.com Subscribers

** FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte **

Planning Web Server Security? Find out how to implement SSL!
Get the free Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to
all your Apache SSL security issues and more at:
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/perl/09/12/top

Hello, world!

This is Simon Cozens, managing editor of www.perl.com, here to
bring you the week's news and developments both in the Perl world
and on our own site.

* Perl at large.

Two major things this week. Firstly, all of us at perl.com and the
O'Reilly Network extend our condolences and prayers to those people
or their families caught up in this week's devastation in New York
and Washington, D.C.

Damian Conway has set up a page to track the status of all members
of the Perl community known to have been in NY or DC at the time;
if you're worried about a friend in the community, your first
port of call should be:

     http://www.yetanother.org/damian/September_11.html

Thankfully, at time of writing, everyone on that message board is
marked as "Safe", but we recognise that many of you will have been
touched in some way by this tragedy, and our thoughts are with you.

And now some happier news; on Monday, Nat Torkington announced that
the holder of the source pumpkin for Perl 6 would be Simon Cozens -
oh, hang on, that's me. Later in the day, I released the first
version of Parrot, the Perl 6 bytecode interpreter.

http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/10/1730204&mode=thread&threshold=
     http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-announce@perl.org/msg00293.html

And you can download parrot from CPAN, from CVS or from the nightly
snapshot service:

     http://www.cpan.org/src/parrot-0.0.1.tar.gz
     http://cvs.perl.org/
     http://www.netthink.co.uk/downloads/parrot-nightly.tar.gz

Patches are, of course, welcome.

* What's new on perl.com

As you might have guessed from the above, I've been more than a
little busy this week; unfortunately, this means I haven't had
time to produce the perl5-porters summary. My apologies, and I'll
try harder next week.  However, the Perl 6 summary is here,
covering oodles of documentation, and more discussion of the
much-misunderstood lexical insertion feature.

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/p6pdigest/20010908.html

You've heard of Tk, you might have heard of Gtk, but what about
wxWindows? This is a highly portable, good-looking graphical user
interface and, like all good things, you can use it from Perl.
Jouke Visse brings you the first part of his wxPerl tutorial.

     http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/12/wxtutorial1.html

Enjoy,
SC

TRY A FREE COLDFUSION 5 TRIAL AND BUILD
SOPHISTICATED SITES FAST.  Macromedia ColdFusion 5 - the
fastest way to build and deploy powerful Web applications -
empowers you to quickly assemble content publishing systems
and self-service applications. Try a FREE COLDFUSION DOWNLOAD:
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/network/08/macromedia/1

*** Perl.com Features ***

wxPerl: Another GUI for Perl
Jouke Visse brings us a new tutorial on how to use wxPerl to create
good-looking GUIs for Perl programs.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/12/wxtutorial1.html

***

Changing Hash Behaviour with tie
Hashes are one of the most useful data structures Perl provides,
but did you know you can make them even more useful by changing
the way they work? Dave Cross shows us how it's done.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/04/tiedhash.html

***

Perl Helps The Disabled
As part of Mark-Jason Dominus's Lightning Talks at the 2001 O'Reilly
Open Source Convention, Jon Bjornstad gave a talk about a Perl/Tk
program he wrote to help a mute quadriplegic friend, Sue Simpson,
to speak and to better use her computer. Jon's talk received a grand
reception, not only for his clever use of Perl, but for a remarkably
unselfish application of his skills.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/27/bjornstad.html

***

Choosing a Templating System
Perrin Harkins takes us on a grand tour of the most popular text
and HTML templating systems.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/21/templating.html

             *** A Special Offer from O'Reilly ***

XSLT--20% Off

Get 20% off the list price when you buy O'Reilly's recently
released "XSLT" (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/xslt/).  The author
explains XSLT by building from the basics to its more complex
and powerful possibilities, so that whether you're just starting out
in XSLT or looking for advanced techniques, you'll find the level of
information you need. Offer valid through the oreilly.com
shopping cart, or by calling O'Reilly Customer Service at
1-800-998-9938. Use the followingcode: W1DZ02.
Expires September 24, 2001.

Apache::CodeRed
Tired of seeing your web server logs fill up with Code Red error
messages? Reuven M. Lerner shows us how to write an Apache module
to notify system administrators about Code Red 2 attacks.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2001/08/16/code_red.html

***

Quantum::Entanglement
Quantum::Superpositions rocked the Perl world, as it provided a
way to get more than one thing done at once. (in constant time.)
Quantum::Entanglement goes yet further, using solid quantum physics
theory to get an infinite number of things done at once. To tell
you more would be to spoil the surprise, but the module's author,
Alex Gough, tells us what it is and how it works...

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/08/quantum.html

Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies.

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the Inside Out.

ONLamp.com
http://onlamp.com
O'Reilly Network's High-Performance Web Development Site.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software, and online publishing.

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com

Brian Mathis
Direct Edge
http://www.directedge.com