[roch-pm] Perl.com Newsletter: Filtering Mail with PerlMx (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Oct 11 16:31:58 CDT 2001

       		Perl.com update

FREE TRIAL: DEVELOP AND DEPLOY J2EE COMPATIBLE APPLICATIONS
QUICKLY!  Macromedia JRun 3.1 - with speed, ease-of-use,
scalability, and high performance - empowers you to build
powerful J2EE compatible Java applications with Java Servlets,
JSP, and EJBs. TRY JRUN FOR FREE at:
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/10/macromedia/jrun

Hello, world!

This is Simon Cozens, managing editor of www.perl.com, here to
bring you the week's news and developments both in the Perl world
and on our own site.

* Perl at large.

Well, the world has been struck by Larry's Apocalypse and Damian's
Exegesis on Perl 6 operators, and I'm still getting lots and lots
of questions about what it all means. Damian's been frantically
trying to help out on Slashdot, Perlmonks, use.perl.org and other
communities to explain what we actually mean and dispel some of
the FUD that's arisen about the latest changes to the languages.
Maybe you want to catch up with that discussion:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/02/apocalypse3.html
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/03/2121203&mode=thread
    http://use.perl.org/articles/01/10/03/2327208.shtml

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/03/exegesis3.html
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/06/0127232&mode=thread
    http://use.perl.org/articles/01/10/05/2115241.shtml

Mac users will be delighted to know that the first beta version of
5.6.1 is available; and yes, you can build it with free tools. Go
out and give it hell...

    http://dev.macperl.org/

Finally, there's plenty going on behind the scenes: Damian's working
away on some great modules - as well as updates to Filter::Simple,
Class::Multimethods, and a whole new set of Attributes:: packages
to get around the limitations of Perl's attributes. We look forward
to them with eager anticipation!

* What's new on perl.com

The perl5-porters summary is back! Ahbijit Menon-Sen has done a
grand job bringing you the summary, including all the work on
testing from chromatic, Why Artur Thinks Attributes Are Broken,
and many other exciting and interesting things...

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/p5pdigest/20011010.html

A few weeks ago, we looked at my Mail::Audit module for filtering
email. I'd be the first to admit that, while this is great for
filtering personal email accounts, it's not the thing you want to
use when you're filtering incoming mail for an entire site. For
that sort of thing, you need Perl support built into the incoming
mail daemon. That's precisely what ActiveState's PerlMx product
provides, and it's exactly what this week's feature article covers.
Mike DeGraw-Bertsch brings you the first in a series on PerlMx,
explaining how to develop your own spam trapping mail filter at
the MTA level.

   http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/10/perlmx.html

Enjoy,
SC

The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
Inventing the Post-Web World
November 5-8, Washington, DC, The Westin Grand

Register by noon on November 1 and save $100! Hear from Clay Shirky,
Michael Conner (IBM), Mark Lucovsky (Microsoft), Lawrence Lessig, Rick
Boucher (D-VA), and Simon Phipps (Sun).  Excellent tutorials scheduled
on November 8!  http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/

*** Featured Articles ***

Filtering Mail with PerlMx
PerlMx is ActiveState's Perl plug-in for Sendmail; in the first
article in a new series, Mike DeGraw-Bertsch shows us how to begin
building a mail filter to trap spam.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/10/perlmx.html

***

Transforming XML With SAX Filters
Kip Hampton concludes his series of advanced SAX topics by showing
how to use SAX filters to transform XML.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/10/10/sax-filters.html

***

Apocalypse 3
Larry Wall brings us the next installment in the unfolding of
Perl 6's design.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/02/apocalypse3.html

***

Exegesis 3
Damian Conway puts Larry's third Apocalypse to work and explains
what it means for the budding Perl 6 programmer.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/03/exegesis3.html

***

Asymmetric Cryptography in Perl
Last month, we had an article from Abhijit Menon-Sen about symmetric
cryptography; this month, Vipul and Benjamin take us on a tour of
its more advanced cousin, asymmetric cryptography. This introductory
article is the first in a three-part series.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/09/26/crypto1.html

Learning Perl, 3rd Edition--20% Off

Get 20% off the list price when you buy O'Reilly's recently
released "Learning Perl, 3rd Edition"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl3/). This is the
quintessential tutorial for the Perl programming language. The
third edition has not only been updated to Perl Version 5.6,
but has also been rewritten from the ground up to reflect the
needs of programmers learning Perl today. Offer valid through
the oreilly.com shopping cart, or by calling O'Reilly Customer
Service at 1-800-998-9938. Use the following code: W1EX08.
Expires October 22, 2001.

Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies.

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the Inside Out.

ONLamp.com
http://onlamp.com
O'Reilly Network's High-Performance Web Development Site.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software, and online publishing.

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com