[roch-pm] Accessing windows time format?

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Fri Oct 5 16:21:16 CDT 2001

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Derek J. Kalweit wrote:

> Brian:
> 	Depends on the program that created the registry entry. It could
> be a FILETIME structure, SYSTEMTIME structure, large integer indicating
> seconds/ms past a specific date in 1970(I don't remember off-hand which
> one), a proprietary structure/value, etc. You also can't be sure if the
> time is GMT, local time, or adjusted local time(daylight savings time).
> Date/time stuff is EXTREMELY extensive in Win32-- it can be a major
> headache.
> 	Is the registry entry you're looking to read/write a system
> entry, or something created by another program?  A path/value may be
> helpful in determining what it is...

The key is created by an application.  I know what the value decodes to,
it just doesn't show up that way in the registry.  My plan is to run the
value through whatever functions convert time, then see which one returns
the right value.

Here's the key and values:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\InoculateIT\GetBBS\CurrentVersion]
"NextDownload"=hex:00,a0,f3,f3,d8,63,c1,01
"LastDownload"=hex:00,da,25,ca,36,4b,c1,01

the "NextDownload" key is 11/02/2001 8:00PM in human time.  I can tell
this by looking at the Options dialog box on the software.

Even if it is one of those time types, how do you access these functions
in Perl?  I've been doing all my Perling on UNIX.  I didn't see a module,
so is it some type of OLE (or something) thing?

--
Brian Mathis
Direct Edge