[roch-pm] Perl.com: Lightweight Languages (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Sat Nov 24 13:46:02 CST 2001

       		  Perl.com update

It's time to protect your e-commerce transactions with
SERIOUS security! To learn everything you need to know
about upgrading your site security to 128-bit SSL
encryption, read VeriSign's FREE guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business". Click here to download it now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n203863060014000

Hello, world!

This is Simon Cozens, managing editor of www.perl.com, here to
bring you the week's news and developments both in the Perl
world and on our own site. Because of the holiday season in
the US, I'm having to get this newsletter out to you before
you head off for Thanksgiving, and hence there's not much new
this week.

* Perl at large.

Last week, I talked about Matt Sergeant's XML::SAX - this week,
I'm happy to announce that Robin Berjon has come out with the
Expat goods.  In other words, XML::SAX::Expat is out. Now you
can have a fast backend to the generic SAX2 frontend.

    http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=XML-SAX-Expat

David Ritchie has produced an interesting little Perl tutorial
for high school students which takes a novel approach to teaching
the fundamentals of the language. Take a look:

    http://home.mindspring.com/~djrassoc01/PoP/Pop.html

* What's new on perl.com

As mentioned last week, Dan Sugalski attended the Lightweight
Languages workshop at MIT this weekend; leading lights from
language research got together with implementors like Dan and I,
Jeremy Hylton from Python and many others. It was certainly good
for cross-language relations and we learnt a lot of interesting
things about the state of the art in academic language research
and implementation. For the whole scoop, see this week's article:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/21/lightweight.html

Have a good holiday,
SC

FREE TRIAL: DEVELOP AND DEPLOY J2EE COMPATIBLE APPLICATIONS
QUICKLY!  Macromedia JRun 3.1 - with speed, ease-of-use,
scalability, and high performance - empowers you to build
powerful J2EE compatible Java applications with Java Servlets,
JSP, and EJBs. TRY JRUN FOR FREE at
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/11/Macromedia/jrun

*** Featured Articles ***

Lightweight Languages
Simon Cozens reports from this weekend's Lightweight Languages
workshop at the MIT AI labs, where leading language researchers
and implementors got together to chat about what they're up to.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/21/lightweight.html

***

Parsing Protein Domains with Perl
James Tisdall, author of O'Reilly's Beginning Perl for
Bioinformatics, shows biologists how to program in Perl using
biological data, with downloadable code examples.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/16/perlbio2.html

***

Create RSS channels from HTML news sites
Chris Ball shows us how to turn any ordinary news site into a
Remote Site Summary web service.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/15/creatingrss.html

***

XML::LibXML - An XML::Parse Alternative
Kip Hampton discusses XML::LibXML, a capable, updated alternative
to Perl's venerable and venerated XML::Parser.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/11/14/xml-libxml.html

***

Object-Oriented Perl
How do you move from an intermediate Perl programmer to an expert?
Understanding object-oriented Perl is one key step along the way.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/11/07/ooperl.html

O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology Conference
January 28-31, 2002, Tucson, AZ

Hear from Lincoln D. Stein, Ewan Birney, Gene Myers, Terry
Gaasterland, James Ostell, James Tisdall, and many more.
ACT NOW to save over $500 on conference registration.
Offer ends December 7, 2001
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/

         *** A Special Book Offer from O'Reilly ***

Ruby in a Nutshell Offer--20% Off

Save 20% off the list price when you buy O'Reilly's recently
released "Ruby in a Nutshell"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ruby/). This book is a
practical reference guide covering everything from Ruby
syntax to the specifications of its standard class libraries.
Offer valid only through the oreilly.com shopping cart. Use
the following code: OPC21.  Expires December 3, 2001.

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com