[roch-pm] [Perl Jobs] Short PERL project - Voter database (telecommute), United States, NC, Lumberton (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Wed Nov 14 15:34:44 CST 2001

Online URL for this job: http://jobs.perl.org/job/159

Job title: Short PERL project - Voter database

Company name: Individual

Location: United States, NC, Lumberton

Pay rate: NEGOTIABLE

Travel: 0%

Terms of employment: Independent contractor (hourly)

Length of employment: ? 4 hours ?

Hours: Flexible

Onsite: no

I have a small project that I think PERL would be great for, but I don't
have the time to learn Perl and would be willing to pay an experienced
programmer to do it for me.   I have requested and received the entire
voter
registration data for the state of North Carolina.  It unzips into 100
files( 1 for each county).  Each file has between approx 10,000 to 450,000
records, each record has 87 tab-delimited fields.  I am only interested in
31 of those fields.  I would like to condense all 100 files into one .csv
file or one .dbf file with only the 31 fields I need.  There is a separate
file that unzips into 100 files of a large number of records,  but these
records only contain 10 fields- voting history.  I would like to collate
those into one .csv file or .dbf file as well.

I can either snail mail the CD with the data or email it.  I am running for
state-wide office on a shoe-string budget and this data would help me
direct my campaign efforts wisely.  If my politics matter to you, I am a
for a smaller, less intrusive federal gonvernment and for preserving our
individual rights, including the right to bear arms.

Required skills:
PERL scripting and experience working with large text and data files.  Be
advised that the files unzip to over 11 Gb, so you'll need a good bit of
room on your hard drive to do this project.

Contact information:
Jim Parker
jp308 at nc.rr.com
feel free to call before 10PM EST