[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com Update: DBI is OK (03/21/2001)]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Mar 22 02:16:21 CST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Perl.com Update: DBI is OK (03/21/2001)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:19:02 -0800
From: Perl Newsletter <elists-admin at oreillynet.com>
To: "Perl Newsletter" <perl at paprika.oreillynet.com>

          www.perl.com update

Reserve now for a FREE Allaire JRun 3.0 Seminar!  Learn why
JRun is the top choice for building and deploying secure
e-business apps with Java. Attendees receive a copy of JRun
Server Developer Edition and Allaire?s Developing Applications
with JRun manual. You may also win free JRun products!
Register at: http://ads.allaire.com/allaire/f2perl.html

Greetings, perl.com subscribers.

This is Schuyler Erle, web hacker for the O'Reilly Network,
and it is my honor and pleasure to bring you the latest
www.perl.com newsletter. So, without dropping the beat, here's
what's new in the world of Perl.

* Perl at large.

Without much fanfare or flourish, Gurusamy Sarathy has released
perl 5.6.1-TRIAL3 to the CPAN. The usual round of building and
testing is now needed to make sure perl 5.6.1 is ready for its
final stable release. Get your copy from a CPAN mirror near you,
or at:

     http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/G/GS/GSAR/perl-5.6.1-TRIAL3.tar.gz

Now, I know we've talked about testing the latest Perl releases
before, but this time your help really is needed: I fear Sarathy's
starting to show the strain of pumpkinghood. The sure sign is that
he's begun making oblique Zero Wing references on p5p, saying
things like, "The /^OK/ messages can go to a mailing list.  Let's
ask Ask to set us up the bomb^Wlist." So download the trial release,
build it, and get those test reports in, before he starts telling
people to "make every 'zig'!" </tongue-in-cheek>

Finally, Chris Nandor reports that use.perl.org is now running
Slash 2.0, and that news.perl.org will be folded into it. use Perl,
if you've not seen it before, is probably the best source of
fast-breaking Perl news available. Since news.perl.org used to carry
the same news items for the most part, the only real difference will
be that everyone can now go to one place for Perl news. So visit use
Perl early and often for best results, at:

     http://use.perl.org

* What's new on www.perl.com?

A few weeks ago, we ran an article by Terrence Brannon on the
advantages of using DBIx::Recordset over using DBI directly. You
may recall that we had some immediate responses to this article,
particularly from a reader known as Chromatic, in defense of the DBI
and its general usefulness. This week, we're pleased to report that
Chromatic has taken the bait, and produced a terrific article
addressing some of the issues Brannon raised, and highlighting some
perhaps lesser-known techniques for making the most of the DBI.
Personally, I love it when our readers get involved, so permit me to
thank Chromatic for his response, and encourage the rest of you to
send us your comments!

Also, the indefatiguable Simon Cozens returns with his delightful
perl5-porters digest. Now power packed with over 50% more vitamins
and minerals each week, Simon's digest brings you the highs and lows
of the perl5-porters mailing list, in a bite-sized and easily, um,
digestible form! Mmm, mmm!

Until next week, noble Perl hackers! We now return you to your
regularly scheduled e-mail.

SDE

ONLamp.com: O'Reilly Network's site for high-performance web serving.

ONLamp.com helps you optimize your use of the open source web platform.
Whether you use some or all of the LAMP technologies-- Linux, Apache,
MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python and much more--you'll learn from informative
articles, insightful interviews, and helpful resources, with the
experience and quality you expect from O'Reilly. http://onlamp.com

DBI is OK
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/03/dbiokay.html?wwwrrr_20010320.txt
Chromatic makes a case for using DBI and shows how it works well
in the same situations as DBIx::Recordset.

Article: Creating Modular Web Pages With EmbPerl
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/03/embperl.html?wwwrrr_20010320.txt
If you have ever wished for an "include" HTML tag to reuse large
chunks of HTML, you are in luck. Neil Gunton explains how
Embperl solves the problem.

Article: Writing GUI Applications in Perl/Tk
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/03/gui.html?wwwrrr_20010320.txt
Nick Temple shows how to program a graphical Point-of-Sale
application in Perl, complete with credit card processing.

Article: DBIx::Recordset VS DBI
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/02/dbix.html?wwwrrr_20010320.txt
Terrance Brannon explains why DBI is the standard database
interface for Perl but should not be the interface for most Perl
applications requiring database functionality.

Article: The e-smith Server and Gateway: a Perl Case Study
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/02/esmith.html?wwwrrr_20010320.txt
Kirrily "Skud" Robert explains the Perl behind the web-based
administrator for the e-smith server.

** FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte **

Planning Web Server Security? Find out how to implement SSL!
Get the free Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to
all your Apache SSL security issues and more at:
http://www.thawte.com/ucgi/gothawte.cgi?a=n122531080018000

          Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the inside out.

ONLamp.com
http://onlamp.com
O'Reilly Network's High Performance Web Development site

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software and online publishing.

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com

Steve McCannell
The O'Reilly Network

--