[roch-pm] [Fwd: www.perl.com: Beginners Intro to Perl - Part 6 - 01/15/2001]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Tue Jan 16 11:19:15 CST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: www.perl.com: Beginners Intro to Perl - Part 6 - 01/15/2001
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:19:54 -0800
From: "www.perl.com update" <onperl at lists.oreillynet.com>
To: <perl-update at pepper.oreillynet.com>

          www.perl.com update

Build and Deploy Scalable Java Applications with Allaire JRun 3.0!
Built from the ground up to meet J2EE specifications, JRun 3.0
offers the most productive way to build and deploy scalable Java
applications. Plus, JRun's modular architecture, lets you choose
only the J2EE components you need! Download your FREE, non-expiring
version, today at http://ads.allaire.com/allaire/perl1.html

Hello, perl.com subscribers.

* Perl News

Quite a few interesting things have happened in the past two weeks.

First, the venue and Call for Patricipation have been announced for
YAPC 2001, which will be held in Montreal this year.  See
http://www.yapc.org/America/ for complete details and breaking news.

Second, in case you hadn't seen it yet, Damian Conway has started
the Conway Channel, a web site which will report on his year of
working on Perl.  As you may recall, Damian received a grant from
Yet Another Society to take a year off from teaching and do nothing
but write Perl modules and travel around and give talks.  (If you
contributed, thank you again, and note that YAS recently received
501(3)(c) status, so your contribution may be tax-deductible.)
The Conway Channel is available at:

	http://yetanother.org/damian/

Finally, I got the following message from Jon Orwant, editor of the
Perl Journal:

         January 2, 2001

         Some folks have been asking me about the status of The Perl
         Journal #20, and prospective authors have been asking me
         about deadlines for future issues.  The answers: TPJ #20 is
         in press and ready to print, but EarthWeb (the owner of TPJ)
         has told the printer to stop the presses until further
         notice.  I am currently responding to proposals sent to me
         with approximately "I don't know if there's going to be
         another issue, but when I do I'll respond to your proposal."

         Since the future of the magazine is in doubt, I can't in
         good conscience greenlight proposals; I will not encourage
         an author to spend weeks writing an article when I know
         that it might never be printed.  So I've told people who've
	asked what I know about the current situation: while
	EarthWeb has sold many of its properties to internet.com so
	that it can focus on "career services", it has not sold TPJ.
	However, EarthWeb has also made it clear that they don't
	want to publish TPJ any more.

         This story has started to leak out to the Perl community and
         has already mutated a bit in not-quite-correct directions,
         so I wanted to write this note to set the record straight.
         Or as straight as I can, given what little I know about
         EarthWeb's decisions.

         While TPJ's future is very much up in the air, people
         shouldn't take this as any indicator about Perl itself.
         TPJ was doing just fine back when I ran it, there's no
         shortage of content out there, and the magazine could easily
         go bimonthly and then monthly -- indeed, when EarthWeb
         acquired TPJ I had thought that was the plan.  I still enjoy
         the editing, the authors enjoy the writing, and the
         designers enjoy the designing.  What happens now is up to
         EarthWeb.  And no, I'm not suggesting that people bombard
         them with email.  Heck, they just laid off 100 people, so
         I'm not even sure who to bombard.  Eventually there will be
         some resolution, and when there is I'll write again to let
         everyone know.

         As of December 27th, this matter is now in the courts, and
         so I have to adopt the "just the facts" tone of this letter
         without portraying my opinions.  Someday I'll be able to
         talk more about what is happening in these strange days;
         until then, you'll have to conjure up your own adjectives on
         my behalf.

         Cheers,

         Jon Orwant

* What's New on the Site?

In the sixth (and last) part of his series on Perl for beginning
programmers, Doug Sheppard talks about how to get Perl to detect and
warn about errors.  See

http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/01/begperl6.html

Also, Simon has (as usual) contributed a report on recent p5p
activity:

http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/01/p5pdigest/THISWEEK-20010107.html

Thank you all. I will be in touch again next week.

Mark-Jason Dominus
mjd at plover.com

Serious about using open source software to do server-side web
development? NuSphere? MySQL? integrates the leading open
source database, MySQL, with Perl, a pre-configured Perl DBI, PHP
and Apache. Binary and source for RedHat Linux, Solaris and
Windows on one CD. Buy the box for $79 and get the MySQL
Reference. Or download for free, http://www.nusphere.com/op.

Article: Beginners Intro to Perl - Part 6
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/01/begperl6.html?wwwrrr_20010110.txt
Doug Sheppard shows us how to activate Perl's built in security
features.

Article: What every Perl programmer needs to know about .NET
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/12/net.html?wwwrrr_20010110.txt
A very brief explanation of Microsoft's .NET project and why it's
interesting.

Article: Beginners Intro to Perl - Part 5
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/12/begperl5.html?wwwrrr_20010110.txt
Doug Sheppard discusses object-oriented programming in part five
of his series on beginning Perl.

Article: Why I Hate Advocacy
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/12/advocacy.html?wwwrrr_20010110.txt
Are you an effective Perl advocate? Mark Dominus explains why you
might be advocating Perl the wrong way.

          Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the inside out.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software and online publishing.

address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email onperl at oreillynet.com

Brian Mathis
Direct Edge
http://www.directedge.com