[roch-pm] [Fwd: www.perl.com: P6P on Perl.com]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Feb 15 22:47:12 CST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: www.perl.com: P6P on Perl.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:43:55 -0800
From: "www.perl.com update" <onperl at lists.oreillynet.com>
To: <perl-update at pepper.oreillynet.com>

          www.perl.com update

Problems meeting tight deadlines? ColdFusion 4.5, the leading
Web app server, has the solution with an integrated suite of
visual tools, powerful server technology, and an open language
environment. Download your FREE evaluation copy today at
http://ads.allaire.com/allaire/perl3.html

Greetings, perl.com subscribers.

This is Schuyler Erle, web hacker for the O'Reilly Network, and it
is my honor and pleasure to bring you the latest www.perl.com
newsletter.  So, without further ado, here's what's new in the world
of Perl.

* Perl gatherings.

The YAPC::Europe Call For Participation was issued last week, rounding
out the Perl conference schedule for the summer. Send abstracts to
papers at yapceurope.org before June 1st to have your presentations
considered. YAPC::Europe will be held this year at the Hogeschool
Holland, in Amsterdam, on August 2 through 4. According to the website,
they'll be holding Lightning Talks there, too, but I couldn't figure
out, as of this writing, specifically where Lightning Talk proposals
should be sent. You can find out more on YAPC::Europe at:

     http://www.yapc.org/Europe/

On a very important note, YAPC::Europe is still looking for sponsors!
If you're in a position to help the community by making a grass-roots
Perl conference possible, *please* contact info at yapceurope.org!

Meanwhile, YAPC::America::North will continue to accept regular
presentation proposals until May 1st, and Lightning Talk proposals
until May 31st.

* Rumors of Perl6's Demise Greatly Exaggerated.

So, chances are you're in the majority of people who has begun to wonder
what's going on with Perl 6? A ton of RFCs were sent it, mailing lists
were set up, and now what? Well, wonder no more. The inimitable Simon
Cozens is contributing a new regular department to www.perl.com with
his perl6-mailing-lists digest. Much in the same vein as his
ever-popular perl5-porters digest, Simon does the hard work of keeping
up with the mailing lists, and you get to reap the rewards. How's that
for a bargain?

Of course, as always, Simon also returns with his perl5-porters digest,
bringing us the latest hacks and fixes from the p5p list. This week,
Simon talks about I/O layers, memory leaks, shared functions, and more.

* Picture yourself ... on www.perl.com!

Meanwhile, in a different movie, we'd like to invite you, our reader,
to consider submitting articles for publication on www.perl.com. We've
got a budget to burn on interesting and useful articles of all shapes,
sizes, and topics. Our only hard and fast requirements are that
submissions be Perl-related, and evince the kind of quality and
accuracy that we've all come to associate with the O'Reilly name.
Send whatever you got to our Open Source editor, Chris Coleman, at
ccoleman at oreilly.com. Don't delay! Editors are standing by!

Until next week, fair Perl hackers! We now return you to your regularly
scheduled E-mail.

SDE

***

Article: Perl 6 Alive and Well!
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/02/14/p6p.html?wwwrrr_20010214.txt
Perl.com will be supplying you with the P6P digest, covering the
latest news on the development of Perl 6.

Article: Pathologically Polluting Perl
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/02/inline.html?wwwrrr_20010214.txt
Brian Ingerson introduces Inline.pm and CPR; with them you can
embed C inside Perl and turn C into a scripting language.

Quick Start with SOAP
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/01/soap.html?wwwrrr_20010214.txt
An introduction to SOAP::Lite, a module that provides simple yet
flexible interface to SOAP, a popular XML-RPC protocol. Using
SOAP::Lite, Perl scripts can access objects and execute
procedures on remote servers, and also serve SOAP objects and
procedures over the 'Net.

Creating Data Output Files Using the Template Toolkit
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/01/tt2.html?wwwrrr_20010214.txt
Dave Cross explains why you should add the Template Toolkit to
your installation of Perl and why it is useful for more than
just dynamic web pages.

A Beginner's Introduction to POE
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/01/poe.html?wwwrrr_20010214.txt
Interested in event-driven Perl? Dennis Taylor and Jeff Goff show
us how to write a simple server daemon using POE, the Perl
Object Environment.

          Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the inside out.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software and online publishing.

address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email onperl at oreillynet.com

Brian Mathis
Direct Edge
http://www.directedge.com