[roch-pm] Perl.com: Building a Bridge (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Dec 20 08:27:37 CST 2001

       		  Perl.com update

Is your e-business secure enough? Learn why it's vital to
encrypt your business transactions, secure your intranets,
and authenticate your Web site with the strongest encryption
available-128-bit SSL. To learn more, get VeriSign's FREE
Guide, "Securing Your Web Site for Business" now:
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n203763060014000

Hello, world!

This is Simon Cozens, managing editor of www.perl.com, here to
bring you the week's news and developments both in the Perl
world and on our own site. We're getting ready for the festive
season here, and I shall be heading home soon, to return in
the New Year.

* Perl at large.

Things are winding down for Christmas, but the Perl Development
Grant Fund drive has not gone away! In fact, it's doing rather
well, with just over $20,000 raised in the past week. Thanks
to everyone who contributed. But there's still much to do, so
please consider donating if you haven't done so yet!

    http://www.perl-foundation.org/index.cgi?page=pr#pr-drive
    http://yetanother.org/damian/

Perl had a birthday yesterday; it's now 14 years old,
making it legal to marry in some states. Uhm.

    http://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html#1980s

* What's new on perl.com

Bryan Warnock has another Perl 6 summary. This week, he talks about
all the fun we've been having with make, Jeff Goff's attempt to
get 0.0.4 ready to go already, and much more...

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/12/p6pdigest/20011215.html

Active Directory is the Microsoft directory server for Windows 2000;
it can hold all sorts of information about systems on the network
or people in your organization. However, it doesn't tend to like
talking to things that aren't Windows. What can we do about this?
Perl to the rescue! Kelvin Param shows us how to use Perl and
XML::RPC to create a web-services bridge to Active Directory.

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/12/19/xmlrpc.html

Now, all of you and those whom you love, have a great Christmas
and a happy New Year, and I'll see you all again in two weeks time.

Enjoy,
SC

FREE TRIAL: DEVELOP AND DEPLOY J2EE COMPATIBLE APPLICATIONS
QUICKLY!  Macromedia JRun 3.1 - with speed, ease-of-use,
scalability, and high performance - empowers you to build
powerful J2EE compatible Java applications with Java Servlets,
JSP, and EJBs. TRY JRUN FOR FREE at
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/11/Macromedia/jrun

*** Featured Articles ***

Building a Bridge to the Active Directory
Kelvin Param explains how Perl provides the glue between Microsoft's
Active Directory and non-Windows clients.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/12/19/xmlrpc.html

***

This Week on Perl 6 (9 - 15 December 2001)
Slice context, troubles with make, aggregates and more...

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/12/p6pdigest/20011215.html

***

A Drag-and-Drop Primer for Perl/Tk
This article, by Steve Lidie, coauthor of Mastering Perl/Tk,
describes the Perl/Tk drag-and-drop mechanism, often referred
to as DND. Steve illustrates DND operations local to a single
application, where you can drag items from one Canvas to another.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/12/11/perltk.html

***

XML and Modern CGI Applications
Kip Hampton explores a modern CGI module, CGI::XMLApplication,
which uses XML and XSLT to separate logic and presentation cleanly.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/12/12/2001/cgi-xml.html

***

An Interview with Lincoln Stein
We recently spoke to Lincoln Stein about the state of bioinformatics.
Lincoln will be a keynote speaker at the upcoming O'Reilly
Bioinformatics Technology Conference.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2001/12/07/stein.html

O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology Conference
January 28-31, 2002, Tucson, AZ

Tutorials on cutting edge biotechnology BioPerl, DAS, BLAST,
Linux Clusters, DHTML, and much more - Keynotes from Lee Hood,
Lincoln Stein, Ewan Birney, Gene Meyers, James Ostell and
Terry Gaasterland - Meet the brightest of the bio-community
in the warmth of Tucson - http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/

      *** A Special Book Offer from O'Reilly ***

Pre-Publication Offer--Practical PostgreSQL--Save $10

Save $10 off list price when you buy O'Reilly's soon-to-be
released "Practical PostgreSQL"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ppostgresql/). This book is a
fast-paced guide that shows you how to get PostgreSQL
installed, configured, and running. Offer valid only through
the oreilly.com shopping cart. Use the following code: OPC32.
Expires January 7, 2002.

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com