[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com Newsletter: MSXML, It's Not Just for VB Programmers Anymore (04/18/2001)]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Wed Apr 18 21:49:12 CDT 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Perl.com Newsletter: MSXML, It's Not Just for VB Programmers
Anymore (04/18/2001)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:19:46 -0700
From: Perl Newsletter <elists-admin at oreillynet.com>
To: "Perl Newsletter" <perl at paprika.oreillynet.com>

          www.perl.com update

You can build MySQL-based applications with transactions! NuSphere
MySQL Advantage, the open source web development platform, has
enhanced MySQL with row-level locking and more.  Quarterly CDs
update components and add complete applications so you can develop,
maintain and deploy database-driven applications easily.
Subscribe today at http://www.nusphere.com/op.

Greetings, perl.com subscribers.

This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor, and it's my
honor and pleasure to bring you the latest www.perl.com newsletter.
So, without re-using one of Schuyler Erle's taglines, here's what's
new in the world of Perl.

* Perl at large.

Thanks to the suggestion of Casey West, there's now a new mailing
list specifically for Perl beginners -- beginning programmers can
come along and ask any question, and patient volunteers will try
to answer them.

Whether you're giving assistance or hoping to receive it, sign up
by sending mail to beginners-subscribe at perl.org (Just a reminder
that, thanks to the sterling work of Elaine Ashton, you can get
information about all the mailing lists related to Perl from
http://lists.perl.org/)

Together with Kevin Lenzo from "Yet Another Society", Casey has also
established a beginner's IRC channel -- it's at #perl-help on
irc.rhizomatic.net.

"Ask Bjorn Hansen" announced that ftp.perl.org and ftp.cpan.org would
be clustering in the future -- that's to say, the address will
resolve to your nearest CPAN mirror; this should speed up downloads
for us all in the future.

* What's new on www.perl.com?

Now we move from perl.org to perl.com, and this week we look at an
issue that's becoming more and more important for Perl programmers:
the choice of XML parser. There's a dazzling array of modules out
there to help you deal with XML, and they're all good in their own
way.

In this week's featured article, we look at MSXML -- Microsoft's
XML parser - and how to make it co-operate with Perl. Shawn Ribordy
shows us how to use OLE to connect to an MSXML parser instance, turn
an XML document into a DOM, and then manipulate the objects. He
also explains how to perform XSL transformations on XML data and how
to use XPath to search for nodes matching a given pattern.

As usual, I'll be giving my weekly summary of all the activity on
perl5-porters, and very soon we hope to bring you the next of Larry's
Apocalypses on the design of Perl 6.

Until next week, fair Perl hackers! We now return you to your
regularly scheduled e-mail.

Simon Cozens

Build and Deploy Scalable Java Applications with Macromedia JRun 3.0!
Built from the ground up to meet J2EE specifications, JRun 3.0 offers
the most productive way to build and deploy scalable Java applications.
Plus, JRun?s modular architecture, lets you choose only the J2EE
components you need! Download your FREE, non-expiring version, today at
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/network/04/allaire/jrun

MSXML, It's Not Just for VB Programmers Anymore
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/04/17/msxml.html?wwwrrr_20010418.txt
Shawn Ribordy puts the tech back into the MSXML parser by using
Perl instead of Visual Basic.

Designing a Search Engine
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/04/10/engine.html?wwwrrr_20010418.txt
Pete Sergeant discusses two elements of designing a search
engine: how to store and retrieve data efficiently, and how to
parse search terms.

Off The Wall: Apocalypse 1: The Ugly, the Bad, and the Good
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/04/02/wall.html?wwwrrr_20010418.txt
With breathless expectation, the Perl community has been waiting
for Larry Wall to reveal how Perl 6 is going to take shape. In
the first of a series of "apocalyptic" articles, Larry reveals
the ugly, the bad, and the good parts of the Perl 6 design
process.

A Simple Gnome Panel Applet
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/03/27/gnome.html?wwwrrr_20010418.txt
Build a useful Gnome application in an afternoon! Joe Nasal
explains some common techniques, including widget creation,
signal handling, timers, and event loops.

** FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte **

Planning Web Server Security? Find out how to implement SSL!
Get the free Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to
all your Apache SSL security issues and more at:
http://www.thawte.com/ucgi/gothawte.cgi?a=n122531080018000

          Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the inside out.

ONLamp.com
http://onlamp.com
O'Reilly Network's High Performance Web Development site

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software and online publishing.

NOTE: Please make certain to unsubscribe from the email
address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email elists-admin at oreillynet.com

Brian Mathis
Direct Edge
http://www.directedge.com