[rochester-pm-list] Script won't run on Perl Version 4 :-(

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Fri Mar 3 13:26:43 CST 2000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> That leads to a new question - what good hosting-only ISPs are out there?
> I have been using digiweb.com for my personal website for a few years now,
> and it's been a bit problematic lately..
>
> I don't need an Internet connection, as I've got plenty of that right now,
> but just a place to host web sites and handle mail.  What are other people
> using?  (to keep this on-topic, hosts that run perl or even mod_perl are
> best.)
>
> Justin C. Sherrill

Hell, who cares if it's on topic, the list gets so much traffic.. I don't
think it's a problem :).

Anyway, I currently use valuetech.com, and they have been pretty good.
Reasonably responsive whenever I have any issues.  They are based in
Virginia I think.  The response when telnetting seems to be a little slow,
but the web site always seems to run real fast.  They are running on
cobalt servers, which is pure, up to date linux.

I was also looking at places around here, and found Verio to be pretty
good.  They don't necessarily list all the stuff they have on the web
site, but if you call them up and say "I want an account with telnet
access, perl5, etc., they'll give it to you.

Both places are about $30 a month (that's with a domain name and
everything), but it also looks like they have some cheaper plans too.

There's tons of other listings at http://www.budgetweb.com/.  I found
valuetech listed there, and have been pretty happy with them.

--
Brian Mathis
Direct Edge