[rochester-pm-list] Script won't run on Perl Version 4 :-(

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Fri Mar 3 09:21:48 CST 2000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Charles Rishel wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> About 2 weeks ago I posted a script that I made to delete image files from a directory, reading the list of files to delete from a text file.
> This works beautifully on Perl Version 5, which one of our web-servers uses, and I have ActivePerl V5 on the Windows machine to automate
> the process on my workstation.  But our other web-server is utilizing Perl Version 4, and the script aborts at line 22 (at the call for chomp(  )
> and I have no clue of the differences between Perl V4 and Perl V5.  If anyone can provide me with some pointer as to where I can find the
> information that I need to fix this problem, I would be very grateful.
> I will repost the script again for reference.
> Thanks,
>
> Charles K. Rishel

The standard #perl (irc) answer to this is:  Upgrade your perl.

Seriously, perl 4 is over 10 years old now.  Depending on how much that
server gets used, I'm surprised you haven't run into problems with it
already.  Everything is backwards compatible, so your perl4 scripts should
still work fine.

--
Brian Mathis
Direct Edge