[rochester-pm-list] Rochester.PM, ORA, Meetings, etc..

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Tue Jun 13 21:29:57 CDT 2000

The list has been pretty quiet lately, so here's what's going on...

-. There have been quite a new people who joined the list lately.  I would like
to welcome them to the (rather quiet) Rochester Perl Community.  Please feel
free to bring up any Perl questions you may have, as well as anything else you
think we'd all be interested in.

-. O'Reilly:  I've recently been in touch with O'Reilly, who sponsors the
official Perl Mongers organization, and signed up with their User Group
program.  This means that all group members can get 20% off any books and
software at the O'Reilly store.  They sent me a big stack of coupons to use this
for, as well as some catalogs.  So if you're interested in buying any new books,
now you can save some money.
They also sent me a T-Shirt, which may be given away at the next meeting :)

-. Meetings:  We seem to be having a rough go at the meetings.  Not many people
show up, if any at all.  I really need to know what you guys want out of the
group.  We used to have meetings where someone would present a Perl related
topic to everyone.  We've also had meetings, aimed at being more social, at a
local Pub.  Do you have any feelings about which you'd like to have?  Is there
possibly a better location that would allow more people to attend?  I'm trying
to get a feel for what would make Rochester.PM the best for everyone, but I'm
running out of ideas.  Feel free to email me directly.

-. O'Reilly 2:  Also, as part of being in association with ORA, they are willing
to provide the *group* with FREE review copies of books related to Perl.  This
means that in order to get the books, we need to write up a review of it, and
post it to our web site.  Not only is this good for us and ORA, but others can
get a better understanding of what books to buy.

Thanks for showing interest in the Perl group.

--
Brian Mathis
Direct Edge