[rochester-pm-list] PERL in ASP

rmd rmd0549 at ritvax.isc.rit.edu
Fri Feb 25 01:01:12 CST 2000

Hey guys and girls,

I don't post much to this list anymore because my interest in PERL has been
fading until recently. I was working on a project for a client and realized
that I couldn't do it without PERL! You see, I have been using ASP almost
exclusively with VBScript because it's usually the easiest way to get things
done in ASP, but in this case, I needed some functionality that VBScript
couldn't provide, namely, grabbing the raw html code from a remote site.
PERL was perfectly suited for this, and I promptly embedded it into my ASP -
worked like a charm. Granted, I could have written a COM object or bought
one that was already written to acheive the same goal, but PERL was there
for me.

My question is, how many of you use ASP with PERL instead of VBScript or
JavaScript? What are some of the advantages you have discovered?
Disadvantages? I'm just curious since there are still several ways in which
PERL trumpts VBScript in functionality, and I am sure there are some nifty
tricks some of you have thought up to use this functionality in an ASP.

Thanks,

Robert Downey

-
For information on unsubscribing from this list, please visit http://rochester.pm.org