[rochester-pm-list] www.perl.com: My Life With Spam (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Tue Feb 15 14:57:31 CST 2000

Some perl news.

--
Brian Mathis
Direct Edge
http://www.directedge.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:51:56 -0800
From: perl-update-admin at lists.songline.com
To: perl-update at lists.songline.com
Subject: www.perl.com: My Life With Spam

         www.perl.com update

Plan to attend the largest gathering of Apache users.
ApacheCon 2000, Conference: March 8-10, 2000, Caribe Royale
Resort Orlando, Florida.  ApacheCon 2000 is the only Apache
event to be fully supported by the Apache Software Foundation.
Apache founders and leading contributors have designed the
technical program, which includes four tracks packed with 40
sessions with over 70+ hours of instruction. Each session is
designed to be immediately useful.  www.apachecon.com

Hello, perl.com subscribers.

Simon Cozens and Myths of Perl

It's only been a week since our last newsletter so there's
not too much news.  But we have a fine new article by
Simon Cozens, author of the upcoming book `Beginning Perl'.
Simon discusses ten `Myths of Perl'---things people often
say but which aren't true.  Simon's article is online at:
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/01/10PerlMyths.html

New Man Pages Impending

In other news, Randal Schwartz, well-known co-author of
`Learning Perl' and `Programming Perl', contributed a new
manual page to the Perl documentation set this week.  It's
called `perlroot' and is a tutorial on Perl's object-oriented
programming features.  `root' is short for `Randal's
Object-Oriented Tutorial', by analogy with the existing
`perltoot'.  Randal's new page will probably be available in
Perl 5.6, and in the meantime is available from:
http://www.stonehenge.com/perlroot.pod

p5p Summaries Temporarily Removed

Finally, p5p traffic summaries have been removed from the
perl.com main page until I get time to write more of them.
Older summaries will continue to be available at:
http://www.perl.com/pub/q/archivep5p

Thank you all.  I will be in touch again around the beginning
of March.  Don't forget that this year is leap year!

Mark-Jason Dominus
Managing Editor

My Life With Spam

Tutorial: My Life With Spam
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/02/spamfilter.html?wwwrrr_20000209.txt
In the second part of a tutorial on how to filter spam,
Mark-Jason Dominus shows what to do with spam once you've
caught it.

Real World Perl: RSS and You
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/01/rss.html?wwwrrr_20000209.txt
RSS is an XML application that describes web sites as
channels, which can act as feeds to a user's site. Chris
Nandor explains how to use RSS in Perl and how he uses it to
build portals.

Article: In Defense of Coding Standards
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/01/CodingStandards.html?wwwrrr_20000209.txt
Perl programmers may bristle at the idea of coding standards.
Fear not: a few simple standards can improve teamwork without
crushing creativity.

 RSS and You
 http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/01/26/index.html?wwwrrr_20000209.txt
 [01/26/2000]

 In Defense of Coding Standards
 http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/01/12/index.html?wwwrrr_20000209.txt
 [01/12/2000]

         Sister Sites:
---------------------------------

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the inside out.

Web Review
http://www.webreview.com/
The premier online resource for professionals who are
working to produce the most innovative, useful, and
commercially viable Web Sites today.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software and online publishing.

Style Sheets Guide
http://style.webreview.com/
Stay on top of Cascading Style Sheets with the Spec,
tutorials, and browser compatibility charts.

Web Tools Buyer's Guide
http://webreview.com/wr/pub/webtools/
Your comprehensive guide to products, tools and
services for today's Web developer.

address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email perllist-admin at songline.com