[rochester-pm-list] Anyone with experience adding DBI/DBD to ActiveState Perl?

Alex Macur ALEX.MACUR at MDCONSULT.COM
Tue Feb 15 10:25:03 CST 2000

Hello all,

With my SPARCstation stuck at MD Consult world headquarters in St. Louis
for a tune-up for at least another week or so I'm trying to set up a
perl development environment on one of my NT (4.0SP5) boxes as an interim
solution

Xemacs installed ok so I now have a real editor. The ActiveState 522
perl installed OK and I can do the non-database stuff I need to.

I need to add database connectivity (DBI/DBD, specifically Oracle) and I
am wondering it will become a major time sync to try to add it to the
perl binary you can download from Active State

A quick test of trying to install something simple like Time::HiRes
using -M CPAN failed under ActiveState PERL on my NT box so I think this
does not bode for an easy install.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience adding packages like
DBI/DBD/Oraperl that require relinking perl to ActiveState Perl. Is it a
major headache (i.e. I need to download and install lots of gnu stuff
and/or purchase visual C and it turns into a multi-day project)?

Does anyone have experience with the CD-ROM distribution
(http://www.ActiveState.com/ActivePerl/CDFAQ.htm)? I am wondering if
purchasing it allow me to jump to resuming my perl programming instead
of spending a lot of time trying to build a NT version of perl with the
packages I need.

Thanks

Alex

Alexander G. Macur alex.macur at mdconsult.com
MD Consult LLC "What Doctors Need to Know (tm)"
11701 Borman Dr. Ste. 300, St. Louis, MO 63146
716-265-1490