[roch-pm] [Fwd: www.perl.com: Beginners Intro to Perl - Part 4]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Fri Dec 8 14:14:04 CST 2000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: www.perl.com: Beginners Intro to Perl - Part 4
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:20:03 -0800
From: "www.perl.com update" <onperl at lists.oreillynet.com>
To: <perl-update at pepper.oreillynet.com>

          www.perl.com update

Register for a FREE Allaire ColdFusion Seminar!

Discover why ColdFusion is the industry's Number One cross-
platform Web application server, giving you the power to
develop and deliver scalable Web apps quickly and easily. You
could also win free ColdFusion products! Register now at
www.allaire.com/cfcyber/Perl3

Hello, perl.com subscribers.

Just a short note today, because I'm in Boulder, Colorado,
teaching a class.

This week the new item on the site is part four of Doug Sheppard's
series on perl for beginning programmers.  Simon Cozens has also
contributed a summary of the week's activity on P5P.

If you haven't see them already, we also have some new items borrowed
from elsewhere.  In the 'Perl Success Stories' department, we have a
story about how Logicept Corporation implemented the backend of
seniors.com using Perl and Mason.   Over on XML.com is an article on
simple XML Validation with Perl, by Kip Hampton.  And on oreilly.com
is a note from Nat Torkington wrapping up this year's 'University of
Perl' tour, in which O'Reilly sent several instructors to give classes
in four cities.  All these articles are linked from
http://www.perl.com/.

Thank you.  I will be in touch again next week.

Mark Dominus
Managing Editor

Looking for Perl gurus? Need to get some slick programming done?
Have a QA/ Beta testing project? Wish you had some designers working for
you?
Simply post your project for free on eLance.com and thousands of firms and
qualified professionals will bid to do your project.
Check it out! http://www.elance.com/Perl

Article: Beginners Intro to Perl - Part 4
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/12/begperl4.html?wwwrrr_20001206.txt
Doug Sheppard teaches us CGI programming in part four of his
series on beginning Perl.

Article: Red Flags Return
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/11/repair3x.html?wwwrrr_20001206.txt
Readers pointed out errors amd suggested more improvements to the
code in my 'Red Flags' articles. As usual, there's more than one
way to do it!

Programming GNOME Applications with Perl - Part 2
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/11/gnome2.html?wwwrrr_20001206.txt
Simon Cozens shows us how to use Perl to develop applications for
Gnome, the Unix desktop environment.

Article: Program Repair Shop and Red Flags
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/11/repair3.html?wwwrrr_20001206.txt
Once again I take a real program written by a genuine novice and
show how to clean it up and make it better.  This time we turn a
perl4 library into a Perl 5 object-oriented module. I show how
to recognize some "red flags" that are early warning signs that
you might be doing some of the same things wrong in your own programs.

          Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the inside out.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software and online publishing.

address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email onperl at oreillynet.com

Brian Mathis
Direct Edge
http://www.directedge.com